Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Jonathan Revusky <re...@wanadoo.es> on 2006/03/28 01:52:11 UTC

Reading too much into java package names

Don Brown wrote:
> If we used the 'webwork' name in the package, I think we should abandon
> the idea of this being the second major version of Action.

Don,

Java packages are just a technical disposition for avoiding name
collisions. There is no actual necessity to have that there be a
particularly strong correspondence between package (or class) names and
the actual name of the product on the box (or the virtual box in this case.)

Now, there is a convention (that is only loosely followed out there)
that the first parts of the package indicate where it can be found on
the net. (As a practical matter, not a big deal, since google is your
friend...)

But that convention would imply that the thing should start:

org.apache.*

or

org.apache.struts.*

since struts.apache.org is now considered some sort of umbrella, and
besides, the struts.apache.org is the canonical website location, I
guess. The above aspects follow an established convention and make
perfect sense.

But, aside from that, in general, you can rename a java software product
from foo to bar to baz for whatever marketing reasons without renaming
*any* actual java packages.

Well, in short, I think you are reasoning on the basis of a logical
fallacy. Given that java package names do not have the transcendental
implications you attribute to them, maybe you should just let the
webwork people decide on the package naming (after the org.apache.*
part) -- it is that community's work after all.

Jonathan Revusky