Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de> on 2012/05/31 10:22:27 UTC

time for JDK 1.6?

Hi,

yesterday, while working on OAK, I accidentally made a jackrabbit
(-tests) change containing a 1.6ism (String.isEmpty). Nothing serious,
and easy to fix.

But it makes me wonder whether it makes sense to use 1.6 in OAK, but 1.5
in Jackrabbit (given the fact that we use subprojects from jackrabbit,
such as -tests and -commons).

Best regards, Julian

Re: time for JDK 1.6?

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
On 2012-05-31 10:39, Bart van der Schans wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Felix Meschberger<fm...@adobe.com>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am 31.05.2012 um 10:22 schrieb Julian Reschke:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> yesterday, while working on OAK, I accidentally made a jackrabbit
>>> (-tests) change containing a 1.6ism (String.isEmpty). Nothing serious,
>>> and easy to fix.
>>
>> Technically I am all for dropping the Java 5 requirement -- Java 5 is essentially no more.
>
> Same feelings here. My company dropped java 5 support years ago.

OK; I have opened <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-3327> for now.

Best regards, Julian

Re: time for JDK 1.6?

Posted by Bart van der Schans <b....@onehippo.com>.
Hi,

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 31.05.2012 um 10:22 schrieb Julian Reschke:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> yesterday, while working on OAK, I accidentally made a jackrabbit
>> (-tests) change containing a 1.6ism (String.isEmpty). Nothing serious,
>> and easy to fix.
>
> Technically I am all for dropping the Java 5 requirement -- Java 5 is essentially no more.

Same feelings here. My company dropped java 5 support years ago.

Java 6 is pretty much done as well [1]: "After November 2012, Oracle
will no longer post updates of Java SE 6 to its public download sites.
". Which basically translates to that you have to pay if you want
security updates.

Regards,
Bart

[1] http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html

Re: time for JDK 1.6?

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.
Hi,

Am 31.05.2012 um 10:22 schrieb Julian Reschke:

> Hi,
>
> yesterday, while working on OAK, I accidentally made a jackrabbit
> (-tests) change containing a 1.6ism (String.isEmpty). Nothing serious,
> and easy to fix.

Technically I am all for dropping the Java 5 requirement -- Java 5 is essentially no more.

On the other hand: In Sling we have setup the Codehaus Animal Sniffer plugin to verify Java 5 API use only and fail the build otherwise.

Regards
Felix