Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jim Lynch <jw...@sgi.com> on 2003/04/18 14:19:04 UTC

class not found org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener

I've recompiled tomcat 4.1.18 from scratch after a few fits and starts.
It compiles clean.  I get the following:

Catalina.start: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.catalina.mbeans.Ser
verLifecycleListener
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleList
ener

After investigating I find that the catalina.jar in the server/lib
directory on other systems had this class. The one on this system does
not.  I'm not an ant expert at all but I found the following in one of
the build.xml files.

      <exclude name="org/apache/catalina/mbeans/**"
       unless="compile.jmx"/>

When I traced the compile.jmx back, I think it wanted to have the
jmx.jar file around, so I went off and found
mx4j-1.1
and put it in /usr/local.

>From the output of the build, I found:
     [echo] jmx.jar.present=true

Which leads me to believe that it should not excluded the mbeans.
However the catalina.jar file still doesn't include any mbeans classes..

I took out the exclude line above from the xml file entirely to
hopefully force it to include the mbeans and it wouldn't compile,
apparently not able to find somethin called
org.apache.commons.modeler.ManagedBean

Now before I chase down a merry path can someone confirm I'm going in
the right direction, or is there something else fundamentally wrong.

Thanks for any help.  I'm way over my head here.

Jim.