Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Sanjay Kumar <ss...@gmail.com> on 2023/05/02 07:42:05 UTC

Router VM fails to boot with kernel panic when overprovisioinig is > 1

Hi All,

When overprovisioning factors are > 1, the virtual router vm  is not able
to boot and ends up in a kernel panic.

ACS_Version: 4.18.0
Storage: NFS

Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you!

With Regards,
S Kumar

Re: Router VM fails to boot with kernel panic when overprovisioinig is > 1

Posted by Jithin Raju <ji...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Sanjay,

This appears like a known issue: https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/issues/7430

-Jithin

Posted by Jithin Raju <ji...@shapeblue.com>.
Hello Sanjay,

What is the hypervisor, version you are using? If its KVM check whether the memory ballooning configuration is applied correctly and working as expected since you are using over-provisioning.

You could run ‘virsh dumpxml vm-name’ on the KVM as Vivek mentioned and look at the below values:

<memory unit='KiB'>1048576</memory>

  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>524288</currentMemory>

You could look at the same using ‘virsh dominfo vm-name’ as well.  I am not sure about the status of the ballooning configuration, hence please check that in the XML output. [1]

https://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Projects/auto-ballooning

-Jithin

From: Vivek Kumar <vi...@indiqus.com.INVALID>
Date: Thursday, 4 May 2023 at 2:09 PM
To: users@cloudstack.apache.org <us...@cloudstack.apache.org>
Cc: dev@cloudstack.apache.org <de...@cloudstack.apache.org>
Hello Sanjay,

When you are doing over provisioning specially for memory, just go to the KVM node and see the output of dumpxml, you will see the memory assigned to the KVM guest divided by over provisioning factor, which means no suitable memory for OS to run ( if we use default offering ) ,

So try to increase the RAM in default offering or create a larger offering for VR.

Vivek Kumar
Sr. Manager - Cloud & DevOps
TechOps | Indiqus Technologies

vivek.kumar@indiqus.com <ma...@indiqus.com>
        www.indiqus.com<http://www.indiqus.com> <https://www.indiqus.com/>

> On 02-May-2023, at 1:12 PM, Sanjay Kumar <ss...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> When overprovisioning factors are > 1, the virtual router vm  is not able
> to boot and ends up in a kernel panic.
>
> ACS_Version: 4.18.0
> Storage: NFS
>
> Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you!
>
> With Regards,
> S Kumar

information. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete the
original message and any copy of it from your computer system. You are
communication is strictly prohibited unless proper authorization has been
obtained for such action. If you have received this communication in error,
please notify the sender immediately. Although IndiQus attempts to sweep
e-mail and attachments for viruses, it does not guarantee that both are
virus-free and accepts no liability for any damage sustained as a result of
viruses.

Re: Router VM fails to boot with kernel panic when overprovisioinig is > 1

Posted by Vivek Kumar <vi...@indiqus.com.INVALID>.
Hello Sanjay,