Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Thomas <Th...@t-online.de> on 2010/11/29 08:53:56 UTC

Re: ERROR 08004: Connection refused : Invalid authentication.

Sonny Laskar <so...@...> writes:

> Dear All,I am new to Derby.I have forgotten the username/password set for
connecting to my derby database.Now when I tried to connect , i get the invalid
authentication error (ERROR 08004: Connection refused : Invalid
authentication.)Please let me know if I can reset this password or if I can
create a new user.Also I want to know that if I want to create the clone of a
derby database , can I just copy the folder and use it?Regards,Sonny LaskarIndia
> =====-----=====-----=====Notice: The information contained in this
e-mailmessage and/or attachments to it may contain confidential or privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, use,
received this communication in error, please notify us by reply e-mail or
telephone and immediately and permanently delete the message and any
attachments. Thank you

login in with your data base owner account you can reset the password of a user
by calling SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_SET_DATABASE_PROPERTY('derby.user.<username>' with
an empty password as the second parameter passed. Assuming you are using the
builtin authentication provider. With the same stored procedure you can also
create new users. (see reference guie on page 327 for details on this system
built-in stored procedure)

To your second question: Yes, to clone a database you can just copy the folder.

Re: ERROR 08004: Connection refused : Invalid authentication.

Posted by Kristian Waagan <kr...@oracle.com>.
  On 29.11.10 09:32, Sonny Laskar wrote:
> Dear Thomas,
> Thanks for your inputs.
> I am not much familiar with the APIs.
>
> Let me tell you how I am proceeding:
> 1. I have copied the database folder "hatterastc" from the server to
> my PC.(This database is embedded in 1 application.)
> 2. I get the error when I execute the following command:
> ij> connect 'jdbc:derby:hatterastc';
> ERROR 08004: Connection refused : Invalid authentication.
>
> I suppose the CALL command can be executed only after connecting to a
> database.
> I have a Windows System and using the ij prompt from the cmd.
> Please let me know how to reset the password from the ij prompt.

Hi Sonny,

Can you please specify which version of Derby you are using? I.e., is it
10.1 or maybe 10.5?
(10.0 was released in 2004, 10.6 in 2010)

Now, resetting the password isn't supposed to be easy, as it would
defeat the purpose of authentication.
Except from connecting as the system user (which may very well be the
user you have forgotten the credentials for), I'm not aware of any way
to reset the password for a user for which you don't have the password.

Unless the system security has been configured using derby.properties
(which isn't recommended because it is a weak mechanism), I don't know
how to help.

Kristian