Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Vik Tara <vi...@propco.co.uk> on 2009/07/14 16:00:21 UTC

Create Module Script

Hi All,

Has anyone scripted the creation of a module structure?

We usually follow this method:
http://lenya.apache.org/docu20/reference/modules.html

But it would be nice to script this - and then keep such a script up to
date with future changes to module structure.

Is this a sensible use of scripting - or am I missing obvious problems
that could be caused?

TIA

Vik

Re: Create Module Script

Posted by Vik Tara <vi...@propco.co.uk>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Vik Tara schrieb:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Has anyone scripted the creation of a module structure?
>>
>> We usually follow this method:
>> http://lenya.apache.org/docu20/reference/modules.html
>>
>> But it would be nice to script this - and then keep such a script up to
>> date with future changes to module structure.
>>
>> Is this a sensible use of scripting - or am I missing obvious problems
>> that could be caused?
>
> Would the purpose of the script be to promt the user for entering the
> module ID, version etc. and create module.xml accordingly?

That's what I was thinking.

> All other directories and files are optional, so I don't think they
> should be created by the script …

OK - I didn't think about that - I guess a script would not be as useful
as I originally thought.

Maybe helpful for rookie module developers - or is is better to learn
the structure through having to create the files?

Re: Create Module Script

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH

Re: Create Module Script

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2009-07-14 at 09:09 -0500, Richard Frovarp wrote:
> Vik Tara wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Has anyone scripted the creation of a module structure?
> >
> > We usually follow this method:
> > http://lenya.apache.org/docu20/reference/modules.html
> >
> > But it would be nice to script this - and then keep such a script up to
> > date with future changes to module structure.
> >
> > Is this a sensible use of scripting - or am I missing obvious problems
> > that could be caused?

Like Andreas pointed out there are different usages scenarios for a
module. Being a plain usecase you would not need the stuff that you
normally put into a resource type.

> > TIA
> >

> > Vik
> >
> Perhaps a maven archetype?

Yeah, that sounds nice, we could have one for a resource type and one
for usecases. Only thing till now we do not use maven.

salu2

> Richard

Open Source <consulting, training and solutions>

Re: Create Module Script

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.
Vik Tara wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Has anyone scripted the creation of a module structure?
>
> We usually follow this method:
> http://lenya.apache.org/docu20/reference/modules.html
>
> But it would be nice to script this - and then keep such a script up to
> date with future changes to module structure.
>
> Is this a sensible use of scripting - or am I missing obvious problems
> that could be caused?
>
> TIA
>

> Vik

Perhaps a maven archetype?