Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> on 2009/06/09 23:28:03 UTC

Re: [vote] Declare the signed source for r782693 as Milestone 10

In message <c3...@mail.gmail.com>,
Alexei Fedotov writes:

> Hello,
>
> > If the vote is successful, binary builds from that level will be
> > made available on the download page, as usual.
>
> I'm sorry. Do I understand correctly that no binary builds are
> available now?

No, not yet.  This time we are trying to do things the Apache way
so we'll make them if/when we decide we are happy with the (source)
release.

http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html says:

  The Apache Software Foundation produces open source software. All
  releases are in the form of the source materials needed to make
  changes to the software being released. In some cases, binary/bytecode
  packages are also produced as a convenience to users that might
  not have the appropriate tools to build a compiled version of the
  source. In all such cases, the binary/bytecode package must have
  the same version number as the source release and may only add
  binary/bytecode files that are the result of compiling that version of
  the source code release.

It would be permissible to produce binary artefacts at the same time
as the source (as long as they are produced from the source artefacts
not from the svn tree used to create them).  I was tempted but, IMNSHO,
doing so would inevitably lead to people assessing the wrong artefacts
and neglecting the all-important source artefacts.

I do some sanity checking before asking for a vote but I intend to make
the full use of the 3 days of voting to do more testing.  If/when I vote
+1 it will be based on my downloading both the tar.gz and zip, checking
the signature/hash files, building them for x86 and x86_64, running
our tests, running some simple scenarios with applications (eclipse
3.4, the latest eclipse RC, groovy, tomcat, etc), etc.

Everyone has their own reasons for voting[0].  This is fine; voting is
a matter of individual "conscience".  However, personally, I'd rather
people voted based on their own experience - with the artefacts they are
voting on - rather than trusting others (although there will always be
some element of trust[1]).

Regards,
 Mark.

[0] I notice the number of votes significantly outnumbers the number
    of downloads (and there are even fewer downloads of the
    signature/hash files).

[1] I trust that someone else will test on Windows.

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Sorry, that does not stop jars from bundling.

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
All,

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.