Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Marcos Molina <mm...@adinet.com.uy> on 2008/06/23 23:49:26 UTC

server resources

Hi people!

I´m working with tomcat for years, in intranet envoiroment.
And now i need to put some works in anothers servers, and then i talk
about tomcat with another people, but most servers admins tell me that
TomCat need too much resoruces from machines. Is that right ??
Thanks for your response.

Marcos

Re: server resources

Posted by Martin <mg...@hotmail.com>.
assuming you'll want to manage multiple resources such as DB
connection(pools) and/or webservices and/or JMS Messaging Queues
havent heard about <Apache> PHP's ability to multi-thread?

anyone?
Martin

Re: server resources

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
> I´m working with tomcat for years, in intranet envoiroment.
> And now i need to put some works in anothers servers, and then i talk
> about tomcat with another people, but most servers admins tell me that
> TomCat need too much resoruces from machines. Is that right ??
> Thanks for your response.
>
> Marcos

Marcos, you can find the answer for yourself... google for "Java vs PHP"
You'll find a healthy dose of pro, cons, bias, prejudice, hatred, groupies,
and marketing?

Java is heavier on a machine... its got to load up the JVM.
... that initial hit is probably in the order of 200 megs versus 50... then
its what the app does.

PHP is more widely used, its easier for easy stuff.
But if a SP tells me that I got to learn another language, vs buying another
500 m chip, or hosting our box... I'd just change my SP ;) Retraining staff
costs a hell of a lot more.
Find a SP that specializes in hosting Tomcat... from the sounds of things
your SP doesnt know Java.

Actually TC should do that... list all TC friendly SP's.

Then if you talking to a .Net SP... Tomcats really going to suck... its free
;)