Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by Andrei Shakirin <as...@talend.com> on 2016/03/30 21:21:51 UTC

Post: CXF JAX-RS SAML based authentication

Hi,

I have published a small post with example illustrating JAX-RS SAML based authentication using new STSTokenOutInterceptor:
http://ashakirin-cxf-security.blogspot.de/2016/03/cxf-jax-rs-security-authentication-with.html

Perhaps can help somebody interesting JAX-RS security in CXF.

Regards,
Andrei.

RE: Post: CXF JAX-RS SAML based authentication

Posted by Andrei Shakirin <as...@talend.com>.
Hi Vjacheslav,

Thanks for your interest and question.

Basically STS Service is not required, it is just an option. Of course you can issue SAML Token directly by the client.
However, there are some cases where STS can be useful (I have also written them in the post):

1) Federation scenario with multiple clients from different domains sending requests to the same target service
    In this case if every client issues SAML itself,  the target service have to trust all clients certificates. This is complex administration task (certificates are expired, etc) and even not allowed in some cases because of security restrictions.
   This problem is solved by using STS Service, because in this case target service have to trust only STS certificate. STS cares about client authentication, PoP, etc.
2) If you use different types of tokens and authentication methods the client should be aware and care about all of them.
     STS helps to resolve that, because client just delegates PoP and Token issuing tasks to STS service. Client dependencies, configuration and code stay lean.

Regards,
Andrei.

Posted by "Vjacheslav V. Borisov" <sl...@gmail.com>.
Hi!