Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Mike D Pilsbury <mi...@pekim.co.uk> on 2007/02/28 21:48:40 UTC

Encoding entitie in DefaultMarkupModel

I hit a problem whereby I couldn't work out how to generate a
soft-hyphen (&shy;) in a grid cell. The text was coming from the grid's
model.

If the text contained '&shy;', the ampersand was being replaced with
'&amp;' by DefaultMarkupModel, resulting in '&amp;shy;'. It would be
nice if the text could simply contain the appropriate Unicode character
(in this case '\u200b') and the MarkupModel encoded it as required (as
currently happens for '<', '>' and '&').

A quick experiment with hacking DefaultMarkupModel produced the desired
result ('\u200b' encoded to '&#8203').

    public void encode(String content, StringBuilder buffer)
    {

buffer.append(org.apache.commons.lang.StringEscapeUtils.escapeHtml(content));
    }

Would a change along those lines have any downside? Perhaps more
importantly, have I missed an existing means of working around the problem?