Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Will Fould <wi...@gmail.com> on 2007/12/01 21:22:57 UTC

Flex

Is anyone on this list using (or considering using) a modperl service to
handle a Flex client?  I'm considering using flex to replace a couple of
web-based admin -type tools (preference-type settings for a modperl
application) with a flex-client application rather than to go the ajax route
(which I've don't with a number of other tools), but I can find no examples
or citations of such experience.  Can anyone point to related references?
Have you thought about it too? Curiously, there is a php page on
flex.org(as well as the other usual suspects, java, ruby, cold fusion,
etc) but not
Perl.

Thanks in advance
-w

Re: Flex

Posted by Jonathan Vanasco <mo...@2xlp.com>.
On Dec 3, 2007, at 6:30 PM, Boysenberry Payne wrote:

> Our system could benefit a lot from being able to compile SWFs on
> the fly; right now they're all
> static files loaded dynamically.  I could see making them
> dynamically as needed, while still serving
> up the static renditions.

We do some dynamic SWF generation via mod_perl; there are some
actionscript bytecode compilers under perl
There's also a decent Python and Erlang library out there too.

For anything dynamic, its pretty simple- you can merge swfs, do simple
actions / var publishers as wrappers which load desgined flash files,
etc.

not very hard!

Re: Flex

Posted by Boysenberry Payne <bo...@habitatlife.com>.
Then, you can see the html version at:
http://www.habitatlife.com/habitat_html/

The html version is mostly for search engines, but it still gives a
pretty accurate
example of the site.  The version you see with javascript off is much
the same, but
the javascript menus don't work visually.

-bop

Re: Flex

Posted by Octavian Rasnita <or...@gmail.com>.

    From: Boysenberry Payne

Re: Flex

Posted by Boysenberry Payne <bo...@habitatlife.com>.

Re: Flex

Posted by Octavian Rasnita <or...@gmail.com>.
From: Boysenberry Payne

Re: Flex

Posted by Jonathan Vanasco <mo...@2xlp.com>.

Re: Flex

Posted by Boysenberry Payne <bo...@habitatlife.com>.

Re: Flex

Posted by Will Fould <wi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Flex

Posted by Jonathan Vanasco <jv...@2xlp.com>.
Ext is good.  Personally, I like the MochiKit system (though a good
friend maintains it).  A few of the big-guys use it for all their
internal systems.

It has a neat dev enviroment - even has an interpreter for you to dev
in.
	http://mochikit.com/examples/interpreter/index.html

Re: Flex

Posted by David Scott <ds...@earthlink.net>.
I use Aptana (www.aptana.com) for web development (JS/CSS/HTML).
Firebug is good for debugging DOM issues on Firefox but unfortunately
doesn't do you much good on IE.  The cross-browser stuff you just do.

Re: Flex

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.

Re: Flex

Posted by David Scott <ds...@earthlink.net>.
AJAX is anything but time-consuming once you get the hang of it.  I much
prefer it to traditional server-side dynamic page construction, which
really is time-consuming.

If you haven't seen ExtJS yet, you're missing something:
http://www.extjs.com.

Re: Flex

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.

Re: Flex