Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/18 15:12:54 UTC

Using JIRA

Howdy,
it may sound weird asking this now but I'm either creating JIRAs the wrong way or we are not displaying the all the info in http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/geronimo (or I just don't know how to read it)

On the JIRA front page for GERONIMO you can see open issues due to be fixed per version.

When I create a JIRA for a specific version I normally specify the "affected version" (let's say 2.0-M2) in the *Affects Version/s:* box and leave the *Fix Version/s:* empty as I don't really know for sure when that issue is going to be fixed unless I am the assignee.

This issue I just created does not get listed (counted actually) for that particular version in the project's JIRA home page.

Is this query is automatically provided by JIRA or we can customize it to show the affected version instead?
At this particular point in time the actual setting show 5 open issues, if we could change it to affected versions it would show 16.

Does this make any sense at all?

Again, it might be just me not really understanding how to use JIRAs.

Comments appreciated

Cheers!
Hernan

Re: Using JIRA

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.
Yeah I noticed this as well.

On Jan 24, 2007, at 2:27 PM, Donald Woods wrote:

> Has anyone noticed that the JIRA Project Summary - Patch Available
> count is not correct?
> 	https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO
> Currently, it only shows 4 issues with patches, but there are -
> 	1.1.2	- 1
> 	1.2	- 1
> 	1.x	- 2
> 	M2	- 4
> 	Beta1	- 2
> 	2.0	- 12
> 	Wish	- 6
> 	Verif	- 1
> 	Unsch	- 28
> So, why isn't the count showing 57 instead?
> It seems to only be counting the ones that have Status=Patch
> Available and ignoring those with Patch Info=Patch Available.
>

> -Donald
>
> Hernan Cunico wrote:
>> Howdy,
>> it may sound weird asking this now but I'm either creating JIRAs
>> the wrong way or we are not displaying the all the info in http://
>> issues.apache.org/jira/browse/geronimo (or I just don't know how
>> to read it)
>> On the JIRA front page for GERONIMO you can see open issues due to
>> be fixed per version.
>> When I create a JIRA for a specific version I normally specify the
>> "affected version" (let's say 2.0-M2) in the *Affects Version/s:*
>> box and leave the *Fix Version/s:* empty as I don't really know
>> for sure when that issue is going to be fixed unless I am the
>> assignee.
>> This issue I just created does not get listed (counted actually)
>> for that particular version in the project's JIRA home page.
>> Is this query is automatically provided by JIRA or we can
>> customize it to show the affected version instead?
>> At this particular point in time the actual setting show 5 open
>> issues, if we could change it to affected versions it would show 16.
>> Does this make any sense at all?
>> Again, it might be just me not really understanding how to use JIRAs.
>> Comments appreciated
>> Cheers!
>> Hernan

-sachin

Re: Using JIRA

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
Ahh, that's right.  I wonder if it would be handy to add that state
to all issues so that new people can submit patches and we would have
a way to know when a patch is ready to be picked up by a committer
and applied.

Regards,
Alan

Re: Using JIRA

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.

Re: Using JIRA

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
Jira is working correctly.  We, the Geronimo team, added a status
called "Patch Available".  The whole point of the status Patch
Available is to indicate that a patch is ready to be picked up and
applied by a committer.  Once it's picked up by a committer, there's
no point in tracking it as a patch in the Status section.

Regards,
Alan

Re: Using JIRA

Posted by Donald Woods <dr...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Using JIRA

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Re: Using JIRA

Posted by Donald Woods <dr...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Using JIRA

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On Jan 24, 2007, at 6:48 AM, Vamsavardhana Reddy wrote:

> I think that Jira is working correctly as is.  It should not show up
> on the radar, http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/geronimo, until
> someone makes a commitment to fixing it for a particular release at
> which time the issue gets assigned "Fix Version/s".  If you look at
>
> I was under the impression that the "Fix Version/s" represents the
> versions in which the reporter would like to see the fix, but not
> as a commitment from someone to fix it in a release.  May be a wiki
> page with details on how to use the JIRA will help.  Or is there
> one already??

Well, we could manage the issues that way.   But, imo, the dashboard
is much more useful as tactical display as to what is going to be
done for what version.  This informs users what is coming down the
pipeline.

If we switch to versions that the reporter would like to see the fix
several things will happen.  It is likely that the reporter will mark
the next version as the version to fix.  It is also possible that it
would not get fixed for that version.  When this occurs, we would
have to ask all the reports to update their wish list.  Also, the
dashboard would then become a display of wish lists with no clear
visibility as to what will get released when.

The best way that a reporter can indicate his/her opinion on when it
should get fixed is via priority.

I think that there is a wiki page somewhere...

Regards,
Alan

Re: Using JIRA

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.
On 1/20/07, Alan D. Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:

> On Jan 18, 2007, at 6:12 AM, Hernan Cunico wrote:
>
> > Howdy,
> > it may sound weird asking this now but I'm either creating JIRAs
> > the wrong way or we are not displaying the all the info in http://
> > issues.apache.org/jira/browse/geronimo (or I just don't know how to
> > read it)
> >
> > On the JIRA front page for GERONIMO you can see open issues due to
> > be fixed per version.
> > When I create a JIRA for a specific version I normally specify the
> > "affected version" (let's say 2.0-M2) in the *Affects Version/s:*
> > box and leave the *Fix Version/s:* empty as I don't really know for
> > sure when that issue is going to be fixed unless I am the assignee.
> >
> > This issue I just created does not get listed (counted actually)
> > for that particular version in the project's JIRA home page.
> >
> > Is this query is automatically provided by JIRA or we can customize
> > it to show the affected version instead?
> > At this particular point in time the actual setting show 5 open
> > issues, if we could change it to affected versions it would show 16.
> >
> > Does this make any sense at all?
> >
> > Again, it might be just me not really understanding how to use JIRAs.
> >
> > Comments appreciated
>
> I think that Jira is working correctly as is.  It should not show up
> on the radar, http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/geronimo, until
> someone makes a commitment to fixing it for a particular release at
> which time the issue gets assigned "Fix Version/s".  If you look at

I was under the impression that the "Fix Version/s" represents the versions
in which the reporter would like to see the fix, but not as a commitment
from someone to fix it in a release.  May be a wiki page with details on how
to use the JIRA will help.  Or is there one already??

the description below the Versions column on the home page you will

Re: Using JIRA

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On Jan 19, 2007, at 2:47 PM, Hernan Cunico wrote:

> Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>> On Jan 18, 2007, at 6:12 AM, Hernan Cunico wrote:
>>> Howdy,
>>> it may sound weird asking this now but I'm either creating JIRAs
>>> the wrong way or we are not displaying the all the info in http://
>>> issues.apache.org/jira/browse/geronimo (or I just don't know how
>>> to read it)
>>>
>>> On the JIRA front page for GERONIMO you can see open issues due
>>> to be fixed per version.
>>> When I create a JIRA for a specific version I normally specify
>>> the "affected version" (let's say 2.0-M2) in the *Affects Version/
>>> s:* box and leave the *Fix Version/s:* empty as I don't really
>>> know for sure when that issue is going to be fixed unless I am
>>> the assignee.
>>>
>>> This issue I just created does not get listed (counted actually)
>>> for that particular version in the project's JIRA home page.
>>>
>>> Is this query is automatically provided by JIRA or we can
>>> customize it to show the affected version instead?
>>> At this particular point in time the actual setting show 5 open
>>> issues, if we could change it to affected versions it would show 16.
>>>
>>> Does this make any sense at all?
>>>
>>> Again, it might be just me not really understanding how to use
>>> JIRAs.
>>>
>>> Comments appreciated
>> I think that Jira is working correctly as is.  It should not show
>> up on the radar, http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/geronimo,
>> until someone makes a commitment to fixing it for a particular
>> release at which time the issue gets assigned "Fix Version/s".
>
> So then that page is not representative of the number of issues
> open against a particular version. It looks more like a wish list
> of issues to be resolved by that particular release.

If done correctly it should look like a list of issues that people
have made a commitment to fix.  This dashboard is really for
outsiders to get a tactical sense of what's coming down the pipeline
in terms of releases, not the defect rate of previous versions.

>>  If you look at the description below the Versions column on the
>> home page you will see "with open issues due to be fixed per
>> version".  This indicates that someone has made a commitment to
>> complete the issue for that version.
>
> "with open issues due to be fixed per version" for me has a
> different meaning. IMO all issues need to be fixed, assigned or
> not, my point is that there are a bunch more issues that have been
> reported that are not being listed.

Sometimes, actually quite often, bugs have a long life and can span
many release versions.  If these bugs showed up in the dashboard we
would end up with inflated figures as to the workload that is waiting
to be done.  A more accurate list of work that needs to be resolved
is on the right hand side, Open Issues By Priority.

> Maybe there should be a condition that one cannot specify the "Fix
> versions" unless that issues is assigned to that person, then we
> know for sure who made the commitment to get that issue fixed for
> that particular release.

This has always been my desire since just dumping issues into a
potential release w/ no real person making a commitment to fix
dilutes the usefulness of the tactical dashboard.

Regards,
Alan

Re: Using JIRA

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.

Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> On Jan 18, 2007, at 6:12 AM, Hernan Cunico wrote:
>
>> Howdy,
>> it may sound weird asking this now but I'm either creating JIRAs the
>> wrong way or we are not displaying the all the info in
>> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/geronimo (or I just don't know
>> how to read it)
>>
>> On the JIRA front page for GERONIMO you can see open issues due to be
>> fixed per version.
>> When I create a JIRA for a specific version I normally specify the
>> "affected version" (let's say 2.0-M2) in the *Affects Version/s:* box
>> and leave the *Fix Version/s:* empty as I don't really know for sure
>> when that issue is going to be fixed unless I am the assignee.
>>
>> This issue I just created does not get listed (counted actually) for
>> that particular version in the project's JIRA home page.
>>
>> Is this query is automatically provided by JIRA or we can customize it
>> to show the affected version instead?
>> At this particular point in time the actual setting show 5 open
>> issues, if we could change it to affected versions it would show 16.
>>
>> Does this make any sense at all?
>>
>> Again, it might be just me not really understanding how to use JIRAs.
>>
>> Comments appreciated
>
> I think that Jira is working correctly as is.  It should not show up on
> the radar, http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/geronimo, until someone
> makes a commitment to fixing it for a particular release at which time
> the issue gets assigned "Fix Version/s".

So then that page is not representative of the number of issues open against a particular version. It looks more like a wish list of issues to be resolved by that particular release.

>  If you look at the description
> below the Versions column on the home page you will see "with open
> issues due to be fixed per version".  This indicates that someone has
> made a commitment to complete the issue for that version.

"with open issues due to be fixed per version" for me has a different meaning. IMO all issues need to be fixed, assigned or not, my point is that there are a bunch more issues that have been reported that are not being listed.

Maybe there should be a condition that one cannot specify the "Fix versions" unless that issues is assigned to that person, then we know for sure who made the commitment to get that issue fixed for that particular release.

> You can make your own personal report and add it to your personalized
> portal page.

Yup, something like that I'm using for the release notes and pulling some dynamic content directly from JIRA.

Cheers!
Hernan

Re: Using JIRA

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.