Posted to user-java@ibatis.apache.org by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/13 08:34:24 UTC

Abator vs. iBATIS....Brandon and Larry were right....doh.

Okay...so today I got my first personal email from a very confused user:

---------------------------
Dear sir,

    i'm new to ibatis.thru abator i generated files such as,2 dao classes,3
java classes and 1 sql map file for each table.inorder to retrieve data from
a table anddisplay vat i have to do.i'm nt getting any idea by seeing
JpetStore.that is different from the files created by abator 4 me.
---------------------------

Okay, so there's a clear language issue.  But beyond that, this person does
not understand that Abator is NOT iBATIS (and vice versa).

Jeff:  Can you suggest a way to clarify that Abator and similar tools are
not required, nor are they a "part" of iBATIS?

Tools are very valuable, but we must ensure that iBATIS remains independent
and that everyone understands the boundaries.

Cheers,
Clinton

Re: Abator vs. iBATIS....Brandon and Larry were right....doh.

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.
>> Wow - your first e-mail about this in 6 months since Abator came out.

It's the first of a very specific kind: 1) personal and 2) confused about
abator.

>> That doesn't sounds like an epidemic of confusion to me.

Are you suggestiong we wait until it is?  Abator has been successful and
that's a good thing.  But we don't want any confusion around Abator's role
and dependencies of iBATIS.  There's also a clear difference of philosophy,
as I've described before.  Abator is a code generator, something I hoped to
avoid with iBATIS.  But as iBATIS grew it came into its own level of
redundancy, which Abator does a nice job of dealing with.

But going forward, we don't want people to think iBATIS == code generation.

>> But you have as much access to the web site as I do.  If you've got a
clarifying statement you want to add somewhere, then feel free.

Will do.

Cheers,
Clinton

Posted by Jeff Butler <je...@gmail.com>.
Wow - your first e-mail about this in 6 months since Abator came out.  That