Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by tison <wa...@gmail.com> on 2022/06/25 19:31:15 UTC

[DISCUSS] Enable GitHub Discussions?

Hi,

There is a previous discussion at
https://lists.apache.org/thread/83pst643h9cqcryo3zsjd240jmqzvn73.

I'd like to bump this thread since INFRA has implemented forward GitHub
Discussions activities to mailing list[1][2][3].

It may be a proper time we revisit this topic. My major argument is:

> GitHub Discussion is friendly for GitHub users and lower the bar to
participant in discussions. If we can sync all activities to mailing list,
it should be a nice supplement.

You may take a look at Apache SkyWalking's practice[4] where it holds an
easy-to-find entrypoint for participants while keeps all decisions in
mailing list - VOTE and RESULT threads should happen on mailing list as it
used to be.

At least, it can be a supplement of users@ with a Q&A category.

From the previous thread it seems that the Pulsar community has already
multiple channels to catch up for contributors, while I only watch at
mailing list and GitHub issues & PRs. If you find other channel as source
of truth, I'm glad to learn and see whether we can keep as less source of
truth as possible - ideally, single source (orthogonal sources) of truth.

Besides, currently dev@ is full of Git notifications while we may sort them
out to issues@ as in Apache Kvrocks[5].

Best,
tison.

[1] https://github.com/apache/infrastructure-p6/pull/1120
[2] https://github.com/apache/infrastructure-github-discussions-notifier/
[3]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Git+-+.asf.yaml+features#Git.asf.yamlfeatures-Notificationsettingsforrepositories
[4] https://github.com/apache/skywalking/discussions
[5]
https://github.com/apache/incubator-kvrocks/blob/dde438f04c577050e299cce981a17018f056c3b3/.asf.yaml#L46-L50

Re: [DISCUSS] Enable GitHub Discussions?

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
Hi -

I already moderate a large number of mailing lists. Mostly you will simply ignore some regular spammy phishing attacks.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
Hi -

Posted by Liu Yu <li...@apache.org>.
Hi Dave Fisher, any thoughts on enabling GitHub Discussions? Thank you.

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Tison,

Il Sab 25 Giu 2022, 21:32 tison <wa...@gmail.com> ha scritto:

> Hi,
>
> There is a previous discussion at
> https://lists.apache.org/thread/83pst643h9cqcryo3zsjd240jmqzvn73.
>
> I'd like to bump this thread since INFRA has implemented forward GitHub
> Discussions activities to mailing list[1][2][3].
>
> It may be a proper time we revisit this topic. My major argument is:
>
> > GitHub Discussion is friendly for GitHub users and lower the bar to
> participant in discussions. If we can sync all activities to mailing list,
> it should be a nice supplement.
>
> You may take a look at Apache SkyWalking's practice[4] where it holds an
> easy-to-find entrypoint for participants while keeps all decisions in
> mailing list - VOTE and RESULT threads should happen on mailing list as it
> used to be.
>
> At least, it can be a supplement of users@ with a Q&A category.
>
> From the previous thread it seems that the Pulsar community has already
> multiple channels to catch up for contributors, while I only watch at
> mailing list and GitHub issues & PRs. If you find other channel as source
> of truth, I'm glad to learn and see whether we can keep as less source of
> truth as possible - ideally, single source (orthogonal sources) of truth.

Yes. There is already much confusion. Especially I think that we are not
using slack well.
Slack is good for quick messages, not to ask for help.
Because there is no archive and discussion tend to be immediate, only with
people who are online.

Regarding github. I am very enthusiastic about Apache projects and I follow
PRs and all the notifications and I still often miss a few important
discussions because they happen on GH and not on the mailing list.

I strongly believe that we must do as much as possible to keep discussions
and user requests on the mailing lists and leave on GH only discussions
about specific code changes (PRs) or as entry point for GH users.

> Besides, currently dev@ is full of Git notifications while we may sort
> them
> out to issues@ as in Apache Kvrocks[5].

I agree. Dev@ should not receive notifications of automatic stuff, we
should have separate mailing lists, this way anyone who is interested can
subscribe.

Thanks for bringing up this discussion

Enrico