Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Ross Jourdain <ro...@liverton.com> on 2011/03/21 21:46:30 UTC

James for Production v2 vs v3

Hi there,

I'm just wondering about James versions.  I am currently working on a project tagged for production release around June and I would like to use James as the mail server component.  I would prefer to use v3 but only if it is ready.  Does anyone have a view on the roadmap of v3 of the server project and whether it is likely to be production ready by then? (if it isn't already?)

Thanks,

Ross

Ross Jourdain
Senior Developer, Liverton Limited

ross.jourdain@liverton.com
http://www.liverton.com

Re: James for Production v2 vs v3

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I think (I hope I'm wrong) June will be too short for a final 3.0 release.

So if you have want a stable/documented product and don't need IMAP4,
use 2.3.
If you are ready to deal with unexpected behavior and crawl mailing list
and jiras, you can jump with 3.0 snapshots.

Now the goals for 3.0 are "bug fixing" and "documentation", but some API
can always change before final release.

Tks,
- Eric

Posted by Daniele Lozzi <dl...@babel.it>.