Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Steven Parkes <st...@esseff.org> on 2006/11/01 02:05:46 UTC

RE: site javadocs and resolved issue 678

	but i feel like the "default" should be the most bleeding
	edge stuff so more people can spot mistakes or ask questions
about things
	that are confusing.

In my experience, having API reference docs built out of trunk is very
uncommon. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen it, outside of as an
option (e.g., http://httpd.apache.org/) and for projects that haven't
made any releases (e.g., harmony, solr).

Re: site javadocs and resolved issue 678

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Chris Hostetter wrote:
> I stumbled upon this the other day...
> 	http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/lucene/java/nightly/
>
> ...i don't know which host it runs on, or whether commiting changes to the
> nightly.sh will automatically put them into effect (or if it needs checked
> out somewhere)

These are checked out in lucene.zones.apache.org:~cutting and run by my
crontab there.  I am happy to make any committer an account on that
(virtual) host.  Yonik and a few others already have them.

The Solr nightly script is a variant that updates javadocs on the website:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/solr/nightly/nightly.sh?view=markup

(This is run from Yonik's home directory & crontab.)

We could easily add something like this to the Lucene Java nightly script.

Doug

Re: site javadocs and resolved issue 678

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: So, the upshot of this is we should not update docs on the site until
: there is a release?   Still, I think it would be nice to have a trunk
: version hosted somewhere (as has been echoed by others) on the site

+1

it sounds like we need to revert the docs at
http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/api/ since they are not currently the
2.0 docs.

: that could contain the nightly build docs.  I can setup the links in
: the docs if someone can point me to where the nightly build docs are
: located (or how to generate the nightly build docs and put them on
: people.apache.org)

I stumbled upon this the other day...
	http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/lucene/java/nightly/

...i don't know which host it runs on, or whether commiting changes to the
nightly.sh will automatically put them into effect (or if it needs checked
out somewhere)

: I guess I am proposing under the Resources section on the site that
: we add a link named something like "Nightly Build Site" which points
: to this new site.

+1

-Hoss

Re: site javadocs and resolved issue 678

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
So, the upshot of this is we should not update docs on the site until
there is a release?   Still, I think it would be nice to have a trunk
version hosted somewhere (as has been echoed by others) on the site
that could contain the nightly build docs.  I can setup the links in
the docs if someone can point me to where the nightly build docs are
located (or how to generate the nightly build docs and put them on
people.apache.org)

I guess I am proposing under the Resources section on the site that
we add a link named something like "Nightly Build Site" which points
to this new site.

I also am starting a "Committer's Resources" page on the Wiki (http://
wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/CommittersResources) where, hopefully,
we can start to capture some of these policy decisions plus other
info about making releases, testing, best practices, whatever is
helpful.

-Grant

On Oct 31, 2006, at 8:05 PM, Steven Parkes wrote:

> 	but i feel like the "default" should be the most bleeding
> 	edge stuff so more people can spot mistakes or ask questions
> about things
> 	that are confusing.
>
> In my experience, having API reference docs built out of trunk is very
> uncommon. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen it, outside of as an
> option (e.g., http://httpd.apache.org/) and for projects that haven't
> made any releases (e.g., harmony, solr).

Grant Ingersoll
Sr. Software Engineer
Center for Natural Language Processing
Syracuse University