Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Sim IJskes - QCG <si...@qcg.nl> on 2010/09/29 11:09:20 UTC

Re: Towards Internet Jini Services (compete or complement)

On 29-09-10 10:26, Zoltan Juhasz wrote:
> So what I'm trying to say is that in the new world of SOA where everything
> is a web service (or REST service???) we need to define and position Jini.
> We have to know whether this is a competing or complementary technology. I
> got many negative remarks on our previous Jini-based grid work that although
> it was great it was Java-based and interoperability with other languages and
> web services was so crucial that without giving support you're dead. I don’t
> see how you could have these working together.

I think they complement. In a design process where you have non-agile
interface definition (like commitee meetings), or unlimited platform
combinations, there is nothing to gain to use jini. When you need agile
interface definitions that integrate thightly with the language type
constraints, then there is lots to gain to use jini.

I especially like the agility when during development introducing an
extra class, to split previous combined functionality in a single class,
into a dual (1-n related) class combination.

Gr. Sim