Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Andy Lester <an...@petdance.com> on 2012/11/19 20:19:19 UTC

Cacti monitoring of Solr and Tomcat

Is anyone using Cacti to track trends over time in Solr and Tomcat metrics?  We have Nagios set up for alerts, but want to track trends over time.

I've found a couple of examples online, but none have worked completely for me.  I'm looking at this one next: http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19744&start=15  It looks promising although it doesn't monitor Solr itself.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Andy

--
Andy Lester => andy@petdance.com => www.petdance.com => AIM:petdance

Re: Cacti monitoring of Solr and Tomcat

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.
We (Chegg) are using New Relic, even for the dev systems. It is pretty good, but only reports averages, when we need median and 90th percentile.

Our next step is putting something together with the Metrics server from Coda Hale (http://metrics.codahale.com/) and Graphite (http://graphite.wikidot.com/). This looks far more capable than New Relic, but more work.

wunder

Posted by Andy Lester <an...@petdance.com>.

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andy,

My favourite topic ;)  See my sig below for SPM for Solr. At my last
company we used Cacti but it felt very 1990s almost. Some ppl use zabbix,
some graphite, some newrelic, some SPM, some nothing!

Otis
--
Solr Performance Monitoring - http://sematext.com/spm

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: Is anyone using Cacti to track trends over time in Solr and Tomcat
: metrics?  We have Nagios set up for alerts, but want to track trends
: over time.

A key thing to remember is that all of the "stats" you can get from solr
via HTTP are also available via JMX...

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrJmx

...so anytime if you have favotire monitoring tool WizWat and you're
wondering if anyone has tips on using WizWat to monitor Solr, start
by checking if WizWat has any docs on monitoring apps using JMX.

-Hoss