Posted to ddlutils-user@db.apache.org by Ramin Moazeni <rm...@gmail.com> on 2006/06/20 08:01:40 UTC

Database Migration

Hi,

I am planning to use the ddlutils for migration from variety of
databeases to apache derby. I know that ddlutils provides a way to get
schema from variety of databases. I was wondering if it provides a way
to automatically change schema between databases for migration?

Please advise....

Thanks,
Ramin Moazeni

Re: Database Migration

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Ramin Moazeni wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am planning to use the ddlutils for migration from variety of
> databeases to apache derby. I know that ddlutils provides a way to get
> schema from variety of databases. I was wondering if it provides a way
> to automatically change schema between databases for migration?

Derby has an example that shows a way to migrate a database to derby
using DdlUtils:

http://db.apache.org/derby/integrate/db_ddlutils.html

This specific example uses derby as the source and target databases, but
it should work between any of the databases DdlUtils supports. Step 4 in
the example exports the schema (and data) from the source database, and
Step 5 creates the schema in the target database (and imports the data).
The schema file created by Step 4 is in Turbine XML format and isn't
specific to any database.

 -jean