Posted to asp@perl.apache.org by Marcel <ma...@st.hanze.nl> on 2001/06/05 22:08:06 UTC

Questions about the install

  Hello,

I've got Apache 1.3.19, on Redhat 7.1 , and just installed Apache ASP.
 I did perl Makefile.PL, make, make test and make install.
But what should i do now?

The quick start said i should copy the /site/eg to a Apache document
tree, but where is this document tree?
And what should i do after this?

Thanks a lot.

Re: Questions about the install

Posted by Philip Mak <pm...@aaanime.net>.
On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Marcel wrote:

> I've got Apache 1.3.19, on Redhat 7.1 , and just installed Apache ASP.
>  I did perl Makefile.PL, make, make test and make install.
> But what should i do now?
>
> The quick start said i should copy the /site/eg to a Apache document
> tree, but where is this document tree?

The /site/eg thing is not part of the installation procedure. You just do
that if you want to install the example scripts.

The "document tree" is the place where you put your .html files for people
to access by http://.

> And what should i do after this?

Put this in your httpd.conf (at the end is fine):

# Use Active Server Pages (ASP)
PerlSetVar Global /tmp
<Files ~ (\.asp)>
        SetHandler perl-script
        PerlHandler Apache::ASP
</Files>
PerlFreshRestart On

Then restart Apache and .asp files will work.

Also, here's some other lines that I use in my config file (you may or may
not want them):

# Turn on debugging. If an error occurs in your .asp script, it will
# display the errors to the browser. This does make your source code
# visible, and runs slower. You probably only want to use this in
# a development environment.
PerlSetVar Debug 2

# Put this if you don't intend to use any of the state functions in
# Apache::ASP; this will disable them to save resources.
PerlSetVar NoState 1

# This is the same as having "use strict;" in all your perl scripts.
# Good programming practice.
PerlSetVar UseStrict 1

# This turns on some warnings.
# Good programming practice.