Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Norman Maurer <nm...@byteaction.de> on 2006/06/21 08:35:33 UTC

RemoteDelivery and timeout

Hi guys,
after checking for the default timeout of RemoteDelivery i notice that
it is 10 Minutes! Why it must be so high ? is that not a bit overkill ?
I think if a host not answer in at least 2 minutes it will never
answer.. And if it answer the conenction will be so "fucked up" that it
cannot send the mail completly.

+1 for change it the default to 2 minutes. Thats what other MTA also
use.

bye
Norman

RE: RemoteDelivery and timeout

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Norman Maurer wrote:

> after checking for the default timeout of RemoteDelivery i notice that
> it is 10 Minutes! Why it must be so high ? is that not a bit overkill ?

I agree, but ...

> +1 for change it the default to 2 minutes. Thats what other MTA also
> use.

See my other reply.  There are two timeouts: one for establishing the
connection, one for socket I/O.  The connection timeout default is set to 1
minute.  Once we have established a socket, then the higher 10 minute
default timeout is currently used for I/O on that socket.

	--- Noel