Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Nico De Ranter <ni...@sonycom.com> on 2009/09/16 17:10:24 UTC

[users@httpd] .htaccess not honoured anymore

Hi,

I recently enabled access control on all folders of my apache server by
adding the following section:

<Location "/">
        AuthzLDAPAuthoritative off
        AuthBasicProvider ldap
        AuthType Basic

        Require valid-user
</Location>

The idea is that I can refine this for every folder by adding something
like:

<Location "/trac/mytrac">
        Require ldap-group ...
</Location>

without having to copy the other Auth... directives (which contain the
username and password for my LDAP server).

This works fine, however after doing this all .htaccess files in user's
homedirectories are being ignored.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Nico

[users@httpd] Industry Acceptable % of Timeout failures (502s)

Posted by Jignesh Badani <jb...@mmsa.com>.
Hello, is there an industry standard for acceptable % of Timeout related
failures on one's website ?

We have a server farm of 3 Apache RP proxying almost everything to the
back-end content and app farms of about 40-50 servers. The user base is
small but fairly active (about 2.5mil hits per day & 17GB-20GB traffic
served from all RPs combined)

We have a current Timeout related 502 messages of about 0.3% of the total
successful hits (http 200).  Is that on the high side or acceptable? If
there is an website about the same, please point me to it.

The reason I ask is that we are very short handed and we cannot go really
chasing the App or the content folks for every 502s getting logged.

regards
- -
JB

Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess not honoured anymore

Posted by Nico De Ranter <ni...@sonycom.com>.
Doh, that explains a couple of things.

Thanks for the link!

Nico

Posted by Bob Ionescu <bo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Nico De Ranter <ni...@sonycom.com>.
One more note:  I grepped all the apache config files for
'allowoverride': all of them are either 'All' or 'None' (in which case
garbage in .htaccess shouldn't result in a server error as it won't be
read at all).  So I'm sure .htaccess is read and no allowoverride
statement keeps me from using 'require', but it still doesn't work.  Any
ideas what else may be wrong?

Nico

Posted by Nico De Ranter <ni...@sonycom.com>.
Hmm,