Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Jerome Jacobsen <je...@gentootech.com> on 2002/12/12 20:52:38 UTC

Move to TilesRequestProcessor results in forwarding exception.

I just added the following to my *non-tiles* Struts 1.1b2 app configuration
file:

  <plug-in className="org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesPlugin"/>

As I understand it this should replace the RequestProcessor with the
TilesRequestProcessor.  Well something changed because now I get an
exception when my Action forwards to another Action via a global forward.

javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: Exception forwarding for name
displayErrorMaintSearch: javax.servlet.ServletException: Error in servlet
	int org.apache.struts.taglib.logic.ForwardTag.doEndTag()
		ForwardTag.java:180

If I remove the Tiles plug-in from struts-config it works again.  I want to
refactor to Tiles but step one has failed.

Re: Move to TilesRequestProcessor results in forwarding exception.

Posted by Cedric Dumoulin <ce...@apache.org>.
  It is true that the tiles config file is optional. But if you don't
have a tiles config file, this means that you don't use tiles
definitions. So, you don't need  the TilesRequestProcessor and the
TilesPlugin ...

  The TilesRequestProcessor is used to catch definition names. It
queries the factory to check if a definition exist.  If there is no
config file, no factory is loaded, and the first attent to access to the
factory throw an exception.
  It appears that the TilesRequestProcessor try to access the tiles
factory to check if your path is a definition ... I think that this can
be reported as a bug.
  A workaround is to have a tiles config file with a fake definition.

   Cedric

Posted by Jerome Jacobsen <je...@gentootech.com>.
If I specify a Tiles definition file I must supply at least one definition.
Otherwise I get this:

org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The content of element type
"tiles-definitions" is incomplete, it must match "(definition)+".

So my Tiles definition file looks like:

<tiles-definitions>
 <definition name="dummy" path="/layouts/dummyLayout.jsp"/>
</tiles-definitions>

The file layouts/dummyLayout.jsp does not actually exist.  However I seem to
get no errors at runtime.  So I think I've got the right configuration now
to proceed with a refactoring toward Tiles.  Whew!

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Posted by Jerome Jacobsen <je...@gentootech.com>.
With just the <controller

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>