Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Abel MacAdam <ab...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/13 14:23:02 UTC

Follow up on streaming media

Hi,

Can someone explain to me what happens when I open a page containing
streaming media (a flash movie) in JMeter?

In a normal JMeter session I think you test something like (sort of) a
(string of) request - response combination(s). So each time JMeter goes to
the library (the request), it fetches a book (the response). With streaming
media however, you send JMeter to the library, then asks the librarian to be
read from the book. And if I am going to test what load the streaming media
server can support, I'm sending many persons concurrently requesting to be
read from the book. And to me, fetching a book is not so though as asking to
be read from the book.

Now back to JMeter. What if I have a thread group with 1000 threads, to be
started in 10 seconds, looping forever.

Back to my question: If I test a connection with a streaming media server,
what do I do? Fetch 1000 books every 10 seconds, or request 1000 librarians
to read me a book every 10 seconds?

Abel

Re: Follow up on streaming media

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 13/03/2009, Abel MacAdam <ab...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  What are you trying to prove?
>
> I was asked to tell what the load was the server could deliver. Or stated in
>  other words, how many concurrent users the server could handle.

In that case, you probably need to run several tests, with increasing
numbers of threads.
See when the server starts to struggle.

Make sure that the network connectivity is adequate or that could be
the limiting factor.

I would start with a single thread, download the file and save it
using "Save Response to a file". Check that the file plays OK locally,
and get its MD5.

Try again, using save Response as MD5 and add an Assertion to check
the MD5 is OK.

Then try increasing the thread count until things go wrong.

>  >  Start a thread, and add an assertion that the film completes within the
>  >  allotted time? How?
>
>  Please read the manual:
>
>  http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#Duration_Assertion
>
> That I did. I already have the following added to my script:
>  Duration Assertion: Duration in milliseconds 1525 (being 25 minutes and 25
>  seconds, the duration of the movie). But am I measuring the correct thing???

That was not clear from your earlier question.

>  >  And how would I simulate several users at the same time?
>
>  Please read the manual:
>
>  http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#Thread_Group
>

> Sigh. That I also did, given that I simulate 1000 users with a startup time
>  of 10 seconds, repeating forever.

In that case, I don't understand the question.

Posted by Abel MacAdam <ab...@gmail.com>.
What are you trying to prove?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Abel MacAdam <ab...@gmail.com>.
1000 Threads in 10 seconds looping forever was a test I performed today.
Although it ran I'm having issues with the correctness of the test. So
therefore this question.

So JMeter waits 'until the GET request has completed.' As a result, the
librarian started reading the first page. But will the librarian keep on
reading according to JMeter? If so, what would be a more appropriate test?
Start a thread, and add an assertion that the film completes within the
allotted time? How? And how would I simulate several users at the same time?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.