Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> on 2014/10/24 12:41:39 UTC

[Jenkins] http port clashes

Hi,

from time to time some of our integration tests fail because the port to
be used is already in use. And this although we're using the build
helper plugin to allocate a port.

I think, this is due to parallel builds for the different jdks and they
might see the same port as free, then one starts to use it, the other
wants to use it and fails.

Any ideas on how to solve this?
Should we build the different builds one after each other?
Different port ranges for different jdks?

Or is there another problem?

Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
Adobe Research Switzerland

Re: [Jenkins] http port clashes

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Am 24.10.14 um 15:27 schrieb Carsten Ziegeler:
> Am 24.10.14 um 14:56 schrieb Bertrand Delacretaz:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 12:41 PM, Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> ...from time to time some of our integration tests fail because the port to
>>> be used is already in use. And this although we're using the build
>>> helper plugin to allocate a port....
>>
>> As the build helper doesn't use the port, as you say it's possible
>> that parallel builds will get the same port number, leading to a
>> collision.
>>
>> Maybe https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Port+Allocator+Plugin
>> would help? I've never used it but if Jenkins is aware of which ports
>> are allocated that should help.
>>
> Hmm, yeah that could help - maybe with some maven magic to check whether
> this env variable is set

I'm now trying to use different port ranges for different jdks, let's
see if that helps.

Carsten

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 12:41 PM, Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...from time to time some of our integration tests fail because the port to
> be used is already in use. And this although we're using the build
> helper plugin to allocate a port....

As the build helper doesn't use the port, as you say it's possible
that parallel builds will get the same port number, leading to a
collision.

Maybe https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Port+Allocator+Plugin
would help? I've never used it but if Jenkins is aware of which ports
are allocated that should help.

-Bertrand