Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Manoj Patil <ma...@gmail.com> on 2020/02/12 10:23:03 UTC

Required help for reducing High Bandwidth Utilization of Guacamole

Dear,

As per our observation we found that there is continuous send receive
traffic   from server to client and vise versa  in every fractions of
seconds(may be checking the network availability ) , however  we are not
doing any activity(idle session).

we are attaching snapshot of wireshark send receive  packet capture details
when session is idle .

Is there any configuration setting to increase the time duration of
checking network availability OR some other way to reduce
bandwidth utilization on continuous basis?

--
Thanks & Regards,

Manoj Patil.(Asst. Manager DBA)
Netwin Systems & Softwares(I) Pvt.Ltd
Nasik.
Mobile No -+91-9922507588
Email- manoj2patil@gmail.com

Re: Required help for reducing High Bandwidth Utilization of Guacamole

Posted by ivanmarcus <iv...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Manoj,

If you've isolated your bandwidth issue to Xrdp that's useful. My
comments around FreeRDP could be equally applied to Xrdp insofar as
there may be some tweaks available, or some useful resource your company
could provide the Xrdp project.

I've not had a lot to do with Xrdp myself so there's nothing more I can
say. Others may be able to comment but ultimately you will probably need
to research that yourself. Should you achieve your goal it would be
useful to post back what you did to the group.

I see Mike has replied to you regarding the browser <-> Guacamole
disconnect you're experiencing.

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 8:15 PM Manoj Patil <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> When at client side latency is 400-500 guacamole disconnected frequently .
>
> can you help in this to increased the parameter for checking the
> connection to keepalive and checking latency.

The timeout at all levels of the Guacamole stack is 15 seconds, well above
400-500ms. If you are seeing disconnects, the cause is not the latency of
your link, nor is there likely some parameter you need to change within
Guacamole. It is more likely that something on the network is interfering
with the Guacamole connection, such as a proxy which does not support
WebSocket (or is not configured properly for WebSocket) and which buffers
HTTP connections.

- Mike

Re: Required help for reducing High Bandwidth Utilization of Guacamole

Posted by Manoj Patil <ma...@gmail.com>.
ivanmarcus,

Posted by ivanmarcus <iv...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Manoj,

Posted by Manoj Patil <ma...@gmail.com>.
Dear,

When i am connecting through MSRD client to xrdp --

In idle mode Bandwidth utilization is low ,but when i move mouse pointer
over windows and run my application bandwidth is utilized high.

In reverse i am connect MSRD client to MSRD (windows) host  in idle
condition bandwidth is low , when i am move mouse pointer over windows or
run application on windows host the utilization of bandwidth is very low.

Posted by ivanmarcus <iv...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Manoj,

Posted by Manoj Patil <ma...@gmail.com>.
dear Mkie/

Posted by ivanmarcus <iv...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Manoj,

Posted by Manoj Patil <ma...@gmail.com>.
Dear ivanmarcus,

Posted by ivanmarcus <iv...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Manoj,

Posted by Manoj Patil <ma...@gmail.com>.
Dear

I know the discussion is going on .., but still we try to minimised the
bandwidth utilization. I see in xrdp code there is a bitmap and jpeg cache
and compression with respectively bpp(bit per pixel), width and height .
but guacamole can done the compression and cache the bitmap and jpeg.

We see in guacamole they used ping and webp so I think the cache and
compression is mismatch.

Please if it correct?

Posted by "Stefan M. Radman" <sm...@kmi.com.INVALID>.
Hi Manoj

Posted by Manoj Patil <ma...@gmail.com>.
Dear,

Posted by Manoj Patil <ma...@gmail.com>.
Dear ivanmarcus/mike,

Posted by ivanmarcus <iv...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Manoj,

In an earlier post you said:

> My Observation is---
>
> we observe that in my colleague company those people used Microsoft
> remote desktop Web client (using activex) for 1200 connection in 10
> Mbps for huge transaction. and
>
> we used Xrdp+wine+Guacamole with 600 connection with 50 Mbps bandwidth .
>
> what protocol they are used  ( Microsoft remote desktop Web client )
> is taking less bandwidth compare  with  Guacamole.

 From this I was interested to see what information there was regarding

Posted by Manoj Patil <ma...@gmail.com>.
Mike

Pls find the attached file

Posted by Manoj Patil <ma...@gmail.com>.
Dear Mike,

  i am sure  that  measuring  the same sessions, connecting to the same RDP
server, and that you are using the same display size, performing the same
actions, seeing the same graphics.

I am go through as per your suggestion and calculate the bandwidth for
below action.
 browser <--> Guacamole traffic and the  guacd <--> RDP traffic.

As per observation  browser <--> Guacamole traffic is very low around 27K .

  guacd <--> RDP traffic  is very high in working condition is around
2876K.

From the below observation  guacd <--> RDP traffic and
bandwidth utilization is very high.

plz find attached snapshot of measuring bandwidth.

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 7:07 PM Manoj Patil <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What tool u used for measuring bandwidth.

AWS CloudWatch.

Is there any resolution?

There isn't really anything to resolve.

As already noted in this thread, the bandwidth you've measured for
Guacamole looks fine and the bandwidth we've measured for Guacamole looks
fine. It's interesting that you're seeing lower RDP utilization in one of
your tests, and worth looking into seeing why that might be the case, but
other than an interesting research problem that might eventually yield
further performance improvements to Guacamole, there's nothing to resolve.

Assuming that what you're comparing is an indeed apples-to-apples
comparison, then there is probably something to be discovered which would
further improve things, but I'm not going to be able to tell you what that
is because I don't know it yet. All I can tell you right now is that if
you're finding you haven't allocated sufficient resources, then you need to
allocate sufficient resources.

As per your snanshot RDP take to much bandwidth utilization .

Thankfully, the RDP side of things in a Guacamole deployment is purely
internal, with everything between Tomcat and the client being Guacamole
protocol.

- Mike

Re: Required help for reducing High Bandwidth Utilization of Guacamole

Posted by Manoj Patil <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Manoj Patil <ma...@gmail.com>.
Dear,

I am deployed the Microsoft environment at my end and measure the bandwidth
data send and received.
 using wireshark.

please find the attached file one is microsoft web rdp bandwidth
calculation using wireshark and second snapshot is guacamol server
calculation using wireshark .

as per observation  microsoft web rdp take low bandwidth for single session
.

thankful your valuable time and waiting valuable reply

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Feb 29, 2020, 23:07 Manoj Patil <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear,
>
> Thank For your appreciation .
>
> The only thing that I noticed is that there is no compression between the
> server and the client.
> Meaning that full sized base64 encoded PNG images are send to the client,
> which causes a high network load.

No. PNG is compression, and an average of ~86 Kbps is not high network
load. There is some overhead from base64, but that overhead is all but
nullified by (1) the gzip compression that is generally automatically
applied to WebSocket and (2) the speed that browsers can process that
base64 data compared with alternative mechanisms that lack the overhead.

> i am try to find out why more bandwidth is required for 600 connection and
> how to reduced it.
>
> My Observation is---
>
> we observe that in my colleague company those people used  Microsoft
> remote desktop Web client (using activex) for 1200 connection in 10 Mbps
> for huge transaction. and

An average of 8 Kbps per connection sounds unlikely for any form of steamed
graphical data.

> we used Xrdp+wine+Guacamole with 600 connection with 50 Mbps bandwidth .
>
> what protocol they are used  ( Microsoft remote desktop Web client ) is
> taking less bandwidth compare  with  Guacamole.

From measurements of real-world use of the live demo environment deployed

Posted by Manoj Patil <ma...@gmail.com>.
Dear,

Thank For your appreciation .

The only thing that I noticed is that there is no compression between the
server and the client.
Meaning that full sized base64 encoded PNG images are send to the client,
which causes a high network load.

i am try to find out why more bandwidth is required for 600 connection and
how to reduced it.

My Observation is---

we observe that in my colleague company those people used  Microsoft remote
desktop Web client (using activex) for 1200 connection in 10 Mbps for huge
transaction. and

we used Xrdp+wine+Guacamole with 600 connection with 50 Mbps bandwidth .

what protocol they are used  ( Microsoft remote desktop Web client ) is
taking less bandwidth compare  with  Guacamole.

if we tune guacamole like that  Microsoft remote desktop Web client it is
valuable for all in low bandwidth.

without your help we can not do any changes in guacamole server.

Please guide.

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Manoj Patil <ma...@gmail.com>.
Dear,

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Manoj Patil <ma...@gmail.com>.
Dear mike,

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Manoj Patil <ma...@gmail.com>.
Dear Mike,

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 6:34 AM Manoj Patil <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Mike,
>
> Today we have measured bandwidth utilization using another verified tool
> on our server and had below observations :
>
> 1. It seems that whenever *single *user session is in idle mode (No
> screen change) , the bandwidth utilization is almost 707 B/s (which is low)

OK.

> 2. And whenever *single * session is active(means Screen changes with
> user inputs) ,  the bandwidth utilization is almost 30-40 KB/s which is too
> high for us for single  user session.

That may be too high for the amount of bandwidth you've allocated (50 Mbps)
for 600 concurrent connections, but it is not too high nor unexpected for a
single session. For an active session, this is low bandwidth. Multiplied by
600, it is beyond what will fit in what you've allocated, but this is not
an issue with Guacamole; you have simply allocated way too few network
resources for what is a very large load.

From these observations, We might say that whenever screen changes on

Posted by Manoj Patil <ma...@gmail.com>.
Dear Mike,

Today we have measured bandwidth utilization using another verified tool on
our server and had below observations :

1. It seems that whenever *single *user session is in idle mode (No screen
change) , the bandwidth utilization is almost 707 B/s (which is low)

2. And whenever *single * session is active(means Screen changes with user
inputs) ,  the bandwidth utilization is almost 30-40 KB/s which is too high
for us for single  user session.

From these observations, We might say that whenever screen changes on

Posted by Manoj Patil <ma...@gmail.com>.
Dear Mike/Nick,

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Manoj Patil <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi nick,

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sean Reid <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi Manoj,

Posted by Manoj Patil <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Manoj Patil <ma...@gmail.com>.
Mike,

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Manoj Patil <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi mike

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Manoj Patil <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi ,

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Manoj Patil <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Mike ,

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Manoj Patil <ma...@gmail.com>.
Dear mike,

In last reply of  Nick he said there is any traffic of audio and I am check
the http traffic and send you I see the the word in this traffic is
guac_audio . but I am not enable the audio settings .

Please check http request and guide us

GET
/aceBankCBS/websocket-tunnel?token=010A36823D3FF22287309A8C592C1B046E50465362DC4F6B9CE1C2E53A2489CB&GUAC_DATA_SOURCE=mysql&GUAC_ID=274&GUAC_TYPE=c&GUAC_WIDTH=1366&GUAC_HEIGHT=635&GUAC_DPI=96&GUAC_AUDIO=audio%2FL8&GUAC_AUDIO=audio%2FL16&GUAC_IMAGE=image%2Fjpeg&GUAC_IMAGE=image%2Fpng&GUAC_IMAGE=image%2Fwebp
HTTP/1.1
Host: 103.115.232.22:2790
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Sec-WebSocket-Version: 13
Origin: http://103.115.232.22:2790
Sec-WebSocket-Protocol: guacamole
Sec-WebSocket-Extensions: permessage-deflate
Sec-WebSocket-Key: Zvk3/kV4ybnfVqM+QwtUYA==
DNT: 1
Connection: keep-alive, Upgrade
Pragma: no-cache
Cache-Control: no-cache
Upgrade: websocket

HTTP/1.1 101 Switching Protocols
Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1
Upgrade: websocket
Connection: upgrade
Sec-WebSocket-Accept: D6A8C+QV7sHMKnLCckBZKowuOCA=
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2020 07:08:18 GMT

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.

Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2020 07:08:18 GMT

Posted by Manoj Patil <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi all

Posted by ivanmarcus <iv...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Manoj Patil <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Manoj Patil <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hello Mike,

We have investigate further and there in we found that there's an
continues ACK/SYN/PING traffic flows between server and client for an
absolutely idle session.

Due to which number of packets and in turn data exchange
increases continuously for an absolutely idle session.

Can you please guide us on how to stop continues server PING/NOP/ACK/SYN ?

can we configure some parameters in guacamole-client to achieve this ?

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.