Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Megan Wilhite <mw...@ocm.utah.edu> on 2012/03/29 22:56:47 UTC

content filter

Does Apache Traffic Server have the capabilities to filter websites?

I noticed in Traffic Server V2 there was a filter.config file
(http://trafficserver.apache.org/docs/v2/admin/files.htm#filter.config)
, but I was not able to find that same file in Traffic Server V3.

I also found a plugin
http://trafficserver.apache.org/docs/v2/sdk/BlacklistPlugin.html, but I
am not sure how to install this plugin. Is this plugin the only way
possible to filter content with Apache Traffic Server?

I found a content filtering proxy, SquidGuard, but I would prefer to use
Apache Traffic Server for this feature.

Thanks,

Megan

Re: content filter

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
On 3/30/12 11:32 AM, Nick Kew wrote:
> On 30 Mar 2012, at 15:57, Megan Wilhite wrote:
>
>> I want to be able to filter Web content. Our business wants to block
>> various websites, such as facebook.
> That doesn't sound like filtering contents.  More like blocking selected sites.
> Why not do that at the IP level?
>
> To do it in trafficserver you'd just read the extensive docs in the
> default remap.config file.

What Nick so succinct said is, if you want to block facebook.com you could
do e.g.

     regex_map http://.*facebook.com  http://your-own-c-blocking-site.com

(make sure your blocking site accepts requests for any domain, or change ATS
config to not send pristine Host: headers when remapping).

That would drag in e.g. myfacebook.com as well, but you get the idea. If you
want to simply give it an error, map to something that doesn't exist (e.g.
http://www.example.com). But having a page telling your users they have been
blocked is probably a nice thing to do.

Unless you do transparent proxying on your network gear, you can do what
Nick suggests,  blackholing the IPs for facebook.com. That's probably more
work, particularly if/when FB add new IPs.

Ciao,

-- Leif

RE: content filter

Posted by Megan Wilhite <mw...@ocm.utah.edu>.