Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Simon Butler <si...@icmethods.com> on 2006/03/15 18:00:22 UTC

berkeley db help for a newbie

hi all,i sent this in yesterday but no one response.. i know i'm
flogging a dead horse but from all my searching around i
can't find what the solution is for this issue.. can anyone help a
newbie out!! :)

---------------------------------

hi, sorry i know this issue has come up a few times on the list but i
still can't figure it out :(

i have umask 002 for all the users on the system and i have g+s
permissions on the repos. all the users are in the same
group as the repositary owner. the issue seems to be when my co-
developer comes in with a commit using sv+ssh, the log
file in the db dir ends up with the wrong permissions. i had him set
umask 002 on his remote account but this doesn't have
any effect either..

any clues would be most appreciated!!

a more complete summary of the issue below..

-------------------

i'm using svn 1.2.3 and am sharing a repos with one other developer and
i keep getting problems with the permissions on the repos

i get:

svn co svn+ssh://st...@blah.com/repos/svn/nlm
Enter passphrase for key '/users/steve/.ssh/id_rsa':
svn: Berkeley DB error for filesystem /repos/svn/nlm/db while
checkpointing after Berkeley DB transaction:
DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
svn: bdb: /repos/svn/nlm/db/log.0000000003: log file open failed:
Permission denied
svn: bdb: PANIC: Permission denied
svn: bdb: DB_ENV->log_put: 3: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database
recovery
svn: bdb: txn_checkpoint: failed to flush the buffer cache
DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
'

when i go to the server and try to recover the database i get

svnuser@blah repos/svn 12> svnadmin recover nlm
Repository lock acquired.
Please wait; recovering the repository may take some time...
svnadmin: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
svnadmin: bdb: nlm/db/log.0000000003: log file open failed: Permission
denied
svnadmin: bdb: PANIC: Permission denied
svnadmin: bdb: DB_ENV->log_put: 3: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run
database recovery
svnadmin: bdb: txn_checkpoint: log failed at LSN [3 3819]
DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
svnadmin: bdb: PANIC: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database
recovery
svnadmin: bdb: nlm/db/log.0000000003: log file open failed: Permission
denied
svnadmin: bdb: PANIC: Permission denied
svnadmin: bdb: DB_ENV->log_put: 3: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run
database recovery

and the problem seems to be that the nlm/db/log.0000000003 keeps
getting read only access after my friend has made an update

    8 -rw-r--r--   1 friend   users       3907 Mar  9 13:07
log.0000000003

my friend has umask 002 set and also the repos has g+s set on the dir

anyone know what i'm doing wrong here? how can i stop these logfiles
from getting the wrong permissions?

thx!!

Re: berkeley db help for a newbie

Posted by Simon Butler <si...@icmethods.com>.
ok, i'll try this wrapper approach and see how we get on.

whats strange is that it the offending log file (with the readonly
permissions) doesn't get created everytime my codeveloper does
a commit. only sometimes..  does anyone know what causes berkeley db
to act in this inconsistent manner?

my workaround until now has been to have a cron script that updates
permissions on the db dir every 15mins, not very elegant though :(

Posted by Marc Haisenko <ha...@comdasys.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 15, 2006, at 19:00, Simon Butler wrote:

[snip BDB problems]

> anyone know what i'm doing wrong here? how can i stop these logfiles
> from getting the wrong permissions?

I don't know how to fix your repository, but once you do fix it,
please consider converting your repository to FSFS format so that
this problem is no longer possible.

http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#dumpload

Or, if you must stay with BerkeleyDB, BDB 4.4 support will hopefully
soon be in Subversion, and that should work much better. It was
originally planned for Subversion 1.3.1 but I believe something
wasn't ready so it may not be available until 1.3.2.

Re: berkeley db help for a newbie

Posted by Daniel Serodio <da...@xxx.com.br>.
Simon Butler wrote:

> hi all,i sent this in yesterday but no one response.. i know i'm
> flogging a dead horse but from all my searching around i
> can't find what the solution is for this issue.. can anyone help a
> newbie out!! :)
Judging by previous responses on this list to problems like yours, I'd
say your best bet is to dump BDB and use FSFS as the backend.

HTH,
Daniel Serodio