Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Balkrishnan <ba...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/10 21:23:26 UTC

Request for your views and suggestions

Hi Marshall,

I have successfully used the UIMA along with the web-server logs, to generate
analytics like the path-traversed by a web-user, the time spent on a web-page by
that user and so on.

Can you please let me know if my solution(described below) for generating the
channel-usability analytics makes use of the UIMA framework appropriately(in
this case, the website on the webserver is the channel).

The way I have done is:
Step[1]. Created an annotator to which the web-server logs can be fed. (The
annotator uses one of the functions of the Simple-Server analytics, whose output
is an XML file.)

Step[2]. I have a DOM-parser that parses this XML file and feeds the data into a
MySQL database.

Step[3]. I then prepare my SQL-queries that use the data in the database to
generate my reports. (I am working on a JSP solution for reporting)

Step[4]. I am planning to schedule the Steps [1] and [2] above, as a
scheduled-job on the web-server itself, so that the log-file processing could be
automated.

I would like to know if there is a better way of using the UIMA in the current
context. ThankYou.

Kind Regards,
Balkrishnan.V

Re: Request for your views and suggestions

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Hi Balkrishnan,

I'm sorry to say I don't think I have any particular insights to offer
here.  I am aware that a frequent use of UIMA is to combine various
annotators of unstructured information, and feed the results into a
database, as you are doing, and then use other tooling that has been
developed for databases to analyze and report on this data.

-Marshall