Posted to users@maven.apache.org by ghostwolf59 <ma...@commerce.wa.gov.au> on 2014/03/22 13:00:36 UTC

centralized settings.xml vs local question

Hi,
I am a strong advocate of maven & Archiva where I administer our departments
archiva & svn and site server server where we use maven to build/release
stuff.

I don't claim to be an expert in the field (but I am not completely dumb
either when it comes to this :) - so if my question is silly please don't
knock me to bad :)

The way we currently go about setting up new developers centers around the
following...

Each developer ensure they configure their client to point to a set maven
release (currently 3.0.4)

Each developer will then have a unique personal account created in archiva
giving them the appropriate access to release or not

As part of this I manually encrypt this archiva user psw using mvn
--encrypt-password <arg>
where I create a tailored settings.xml where I add the encrypted password to
each repo they are meant to have release access to (all developers can
access resources to do local builds as guest - but only authorized users can
do official releases *(prod state) )

The problem I have with this is 1. many settings.xml to manage 2. problems
or global changes may affect every single developer resulting in that I need
to roll out new settings.xml to each developers.

My simply question is ... Can this be centralized somehow meaning that the
clients settings.xml somehow refers to groups located on the remote archiva
server

If this were possible I would cut down the maintenance and remove the hassle
of distributing tailored settings.xml when people come on board.

I can not accept a scenario where each developer uses the same global
credentials

cheers

Re: centralized settings.xml vs local question

Posted by Baptiste Mathus <bm...@batmat.net>.
Couldn't you set up a tailored release job in your CI server. Then you
would had handle authorizations there?
This is somehow what we do. And developers all have the same settings.xml
file.

HTH