Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tushar Kulkarni <tu...@ashtelgroup.com> on 2001/11/27 18:10:32 UTC

Re: tomcat 4 and javax.sevlet.*

Hi,
I have installed Tomcat4.1. I want to change the directory
webapps\examples\JSP to say C:\myExamples. So that I can store my jsp files
in to the myexamples directory and access it through the browser with the
address ,
http://localhost:8080/myexamples instead http://localhost:8080/examples.
Please tell me how to I accomplish this task.
Thanks

Re: tomcat 4 and javax.sevlet.*

Posted by Andreas Probst <an...@gmx.net>.
On 28 Nov 2002 at 17:11, David Brown wrote:

> Tushar Kulkarni writes:
>
> > Hi,
> > I have installed Tomcat4.1. I want to change the directory
> > webapps\examples\JSP to say C:\myExamples. So that I can store
> > my jsp files in to the myexamples directory and access it
> > through the browser with the address ,
> > http://localhost:8080/myexamples instead
> > http://localhost:8080/examples. Please tell me how to I
> > accomplish this task. Thanks
> >

> Hello Tushar, no need to change directories and should not be
> necessary if u create ur application context: "/myexamples" the
> same way "/examples" was created. ur installed tc came w the
> application context: "/examples" ready to go right? but, b4 it
> got tarballed the tc magicians created a .war/.jar file combo
> that gets expanded to: $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/examples and under
> the: "/examples" context u will find:
> $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/examples/WEB-INF/web.xml a very important
> file that is created to define and describe to the tc server how
> to unpack the .war/.jar that was created for the "/examples"
> application. And, under:
> $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/examples/WEB-INF/classes u should find a
> myriad of "example" applications including:
> $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/examples/WEB-INF/classes/examples (and many
> others). in fact all the examples and demos displayed at:
> http://localhost:8080  r expanded and stored her. allow me to
> recommend: discover how this is done by studying ant and the
> build.xml that escorts the tc server to great heights. if u

Application Developer's Guide with sample build script:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-
doc/appdev/index.html
or
localPathToTomcat/webapps/tomcat-docs/appdev/index.html

Classloader-Howto:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/class-loader-
howto.html
or
localPathToTomcat/webapps/tomcat-docs/class-loader-howto.html

Re: Tomacat and apache web server

Posted by Tushar Kulkarni <tu...@ashtelgroup.com>.
I am giving the exact information this time,
I have installed apache2 and tomcat 4.1.12 on windows 2000.
I have mod_jk file as well
Now I want to configure apache and tomcat. I tied reading documentation
file.
I am totally new so please help. I will appreciate.
Thanks
Posted by Aleksandr Shneyderman <al...@law.columbia.edu>.
read this

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jk2/jk/aphowto.html

Tomcat 4 and IIS please HELP

Posted by Renato Romano <r....@set-network.com>.
Hi,
I'm trying to set up tomcat 4 with IIS. I already made this whith Tomcat
3, and following the doc how-to for tomcat 4 had the following problems:

Tomcat 4.0.1: integration for IIS works fine for unprotected resources,
but the browser hangs if I ask for a protected resource; "speaking"
directly with tomcat (i.e. using 8080 port) works fine!! Catalina logs a
nullpointerexception for each request i make:

2002-12-06 10:09:31 Ajp13Request[5]  Requested cookie session id is
C554055605855495697077791461B370
2002-12-06 10:09:31 Ajp13Request[5]  Adding cookie
JSESSIONID=C554055605855495697077791461B370
2002-12-06 10:09:31 Ajp13Request[5]  Adding cookie
JSESSIONID=E5B331E6D4C4F1C144C1E845170683A5
2002-12-06 10:09:31 Ajp13Processor[8009][4] invoking...
2002-12-06 10:09:31 Ajp13Processor[8009][4] process: invoke
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.status(ErrorDispatcherVa
lve.java:291)
	at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(ErrorDispatcherVa
lve.java:180)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.ja
va:564)
	at
:170)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.ja
va:564)
	at
org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:462
)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.ja
va:564)
	at
org.apache.catalina.authenticator.SingleSignOn.invoke(SingleSignOn.java:
348)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.ja
va:564)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:4
72)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
	at
java:163)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.ja
va:566)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:4
72)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
	at
org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.Ajp13Processor.process(Ajp13Processor.java:371)
	at
org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.Ajp13Processor.run(Ajp13Processor.java:424)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

Then i tried downloading the latest tomcat 4 release, that is 4.1.12: in
this case, server.xml is configured to use a Coyote Connector for ajp
and not Ajp13Connector as in release 4.0.1
This time, when asking for a protected resource results in a 403 error
(Not Authorized) instead of the login page (I use FORM auth). Please
note that using tomcat directly (that is port 8080) WORKS FINE !!!

Than I switched to Ajp13Connector, whose entry is commented by default
in the 4.1.12 server.xml config file. Finally this works fine, except
for some errors due to Listener config. Anyway i'm quite sure this is
not the best way !!!

Any help will be very appreciated, also addressing to known issues about
this problem. Please don't addess me to Tomcat-IIS how'to because I
already used them. Thanks a lot.

Renato

____________________________________
Renato Romano
Sistemi e Telematica S.p.A.
Calata Grazie - Vial Al Molo Giano
16127 - GENOVA

e-mail: r.romano@set-network.com
Tel.:   010 2712603

Re: Tomacat and apache web server

Posted by Tushar Kulkarni <tu...@ashtelgroup.com>.
I am using tomcat 4.1.12
Thanks

Posted by David Rayroud <dr...@inomatix.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Tushar Kulkarni <tu...@ashtelgroup.com>.

Re: tomcat 4 and javax.sevlet.*

Posted by David Brown <dw...@webitplanet.com>.
Tushar Kulkarni writes:

> Hi,
> I have installed Tomcat4.1. I want to change the directory
> webapps\examples\JSP to say C:\myExamples. So that I can store my jsp files
> in to the myexamples directory and access it through the browser with the
> address ,
> http://localhost:8080/myexamples instead http://localhost:8080/examples.
> Please tell me how to I accomplish this task.
> Thanks

Hello Tushar, no need to change directories and should not be necessary if u
create ur application context: "/myexamples" the same way "/examples" was
created. ur installed tc came w the application context: "/examples" ready
to go right? but, b4 it got tarballed the tc magicians created a .war/.jar
file combo that gets expanded to: $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/examples and under
the: "/examples" context u will find:
$TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/examples/WEB-INF/web.xml a very important file that is
created to define and describe to the tc server how to unpack the .war/.jar
that was created for the "/examples" application. And, under:
$TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/examples/WEB-INF/classes u should find a myriad of
"example" applications including:
$TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/examples/WEB-INF/classes/examples (and many others). in
fact all the examples and demos displayed at: http://localhost:8080  r
expanded and stored her. allow me to recommend: discover how this is done by
studying ant and the build.xml that escorts the tc server to great heights.
if u accomplish this u should have when comleted the following:

Re: How to set Multiple instances for tomcat?

Posted by Veniamin Fichin <3c...@mail.ru>.
Tushar Kulkarni wrote:

> Hi I want to set multiple instances for tomcat4. How do I do that?
> Thanks

In the Tomcat documentation there are some explanation about it. Mainly
you have to set CATALINA_HOME to point to your Tomcat installation, and
  CATALINA_BASE pointing to directory where you want to store your
particular instance.

P.S. Fix your year settings -- it's 2002 now. ;-)

RE: How to set Multiple instances for tomcat?

Posted by Jeremy Joslin <je...@spotlife.com>.
This is a pretty vague question so you're going to get a vague answer.
Look at http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/RUNNING.txt item
#4.

Jeremy

Posted by Tushar Kulkarni <tu...@ashtelgroup.com>.