Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org> on 2012/03/02 20:15:18 UTC

Elixir

Yo,

What do peeps make of this:

http://elixir-lang.org/

Re: Elixir

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 8:15 PM, Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> Yo,
>
> What do peeps make of this:
>
> http://elixir-lang.org/

I thought it would be really coold to have a view server with that.
The only problem I see is the lack of sandboxing you have with
javascript.

- benoît

Re: Elixir

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hah!

I spent a few hours with it as well over the weekend wondering if I'd
fall in love and try rewriting core parts of CouchDB with it. There
are a number of good bits to Elixir that I liked. Its the first time I
saw an explanation of the Lispy quote/unqoute stuff that made me
understand what was going on but I ended up with the same general
response as Mahesh.

I will be keeping an eye on it for awhile to see what comes of it but
for the time being, I agree, "Why?" is a good description of my
feeling. The docs and code I read and played with gave me an uncanny
valley feeling for writing things in Erlang. Ie, "I understand how
this translates to Erlang and I can't justify not just writing the
Erlang and removing the added complexity of Elixir".

* Historical foot note for Bob Dionne, Elixir is the first Lisp
dialect that made me reconsider if all those parens really are that
silly... Well no. But maybe they had a decent idea or two in there
somewhere.

Re: Elixir

Posted by Mahesh Paolini-Subramanya <ma...@aptela.com>.