Posted to user@drill.apache.org by Peder Jakobsen | gmail <pj...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/03 20:18:34 UTC

Documentation update: 64bit Windows is a basic requirement for running Drill on Windows?

It doesn't seem possible to run Drill on 32 bit versions of Windows, as
implied in the instructions on installing the ODBC driver here.

https://drill.apache.org/docs/installing-the-driver-on-windows/

I'd like to update the documentation to make this more explicit via a
Github pull request.  I just need confirmation that the source of the
problem is that winutils/bin/winutils.exe will only run on 64bit versions
of Windows.

Thank you,

Peder Jakobsen

P.S.  Compiling Winutils for 32bit windows would make it possible for it to
run on both 32 and 64 bit. Unless winutils is doing some spectacularly
complex computations (eg 3D graphics for gaming), there is probably no
downside to this. Am I missing something here?