Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> on 2002/08/05 16:59:14 UTC

Re: [Issue 851] New - cannot diff, revert or status mixed eol file with native svn:eol-style

Hmmm, it does seem like Subversion is a bit oversensitive, yes! :-)

I think it would be fine to attack this in stages (unless there's some
obvious on-place fix that takes care of everything).  For example, we
could fix the revert case first, since it's probably easiest and also
people expect revert to work as a last resort.  Then take care of
status next.  The diff case is probably going to be the trickiest,
since some translation (for keywords) still needs be done.

Anyway, if you were thinking of starting on it, I just wanted to
suggest this way of breaking it down into small tasks.

-Karl

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU> writes:
> Um, you're missing something about my argument: for a diff, we should be
> translating the text-base, not the working copy.  Inconsistent newlines
> in the working copy won't cause a translation error becaues the working
> copy isn't being translated, at all.  So, are we doing translation the
> wrong way?  Or did inconsistent newlines somehow creep into the
> text-base in the relevant examples?

Oh.  You're right, I was missing something in your argument.

In that case, I don't know what's causing the problem, and won't be
debugging this this week.  Anyone want to give it a shot?

Re: [Issue 851] New - cannot diff, revert or status mixed eol file with native svn:eol-style

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.
On Mon, 2002-08-05 at 12:59, Karl Fogel wrote:
> I think it would be fine to attack this in stages (unless there's some
> obvious on-place fix that takes care of everything).  For example, we
> could fix the revert case first, since it's probably easiest and also
> people expect revert to work as a last resort.  Then take care of
> status next.  The diff case is probably going to be the trickiest,
> since some translation (for keywords) still needs be done.

I'm not quite sure what's wrong in the diff case.

I would think that for a diff, we should translate the text-base and
compare that against the working copy.  If the working copy has
inconsistent newlines, that may be reflected in the diff, but it
shouldn't cause a translation error.

If the text-base has inconsistent newlines, then our commit code didn't
do its job.