Posted to announce@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/03/22 14:16:21 UTC

CVE-2012-0037: OpenOffice.org data leakage vulnerability

Please note, this is the official security bulletin, targeted for
security professionals.  If you are an OpenOffice.org 3.3 user, and
are able to apply the mentioned patch, then you are encouraged to do
so.  If someone else supports or manages your desktop, then please
forward this information to them.

Additional support is available on our Community Forums:

http://user.services.openoffice.org/

And via our ooo-users mailing list:

Note:  This security patch for OpenOffice.org is made available to
legacy OpenOffice.org users as a service by the Apache OpenOffice
Project Management Committee.  The patch is made available under the
Apache License, and due to its importance, we are releasing it outside
of the standard release cycle.

-Rob

Re: CVE-2012-0037: OpenOffice.org data leakage vulnerability

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Thu, 2012-03-22 at 11:39 -0400, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
> Thank you, I didn't see page 3 at first. I got  it done
> Joe

Thanks for getting back, good to hear it worked out.

Best wishes,

//drew

<snip>

Re: CVE-2012-0037: OpenOffice.org data leakage vulnerability

Posted by Joseph Reynolds <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by drew jensen <dr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joseph Reynolds <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 10:03 AM, Stacie Jones <qu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So has data been leaked? Is that why we need the patch?

Here's how it works:

Security researchers, some in large companies, some in small
specialized companies or consultancies, test software, open source and
proprietary, for possibly vulnerabilities.  These are the good guys.
We sometimes call them the "white hats".

When they find a possible way in which an application could be
exploited, the contact the vendor (or open source project) to report
the vulnerability.  We then work with the researcher to understand the
issue and how to mitigate it, how to patch it, and ultimately how to
notify the public.  The industry calls this "Responsible Disclosure".

At the same time the "white hats" are working on finding
vulnerabilities, there are also unfortunately "black hats" doing the
same thing.  They are looking for vulnerabilities to exploit for
malicious purposes.  They are the ones who write viruses and worms to
exploit product vulnerabilities.  They, obviously, do not work within
the system of Responsible Disclosure.

So this particular vulnerability, for which we announced a patch
today, came through the Responsible Disclosure route.  We are aware of
no exploitation of it "in the wild".  However, best practice would be
to still patch your system.

Regards,

-Rob

Posted by Stacie Jones <qu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Torokhov Sergey <to...@mail.ru>.
On Thursday 22 of March 2012 17:16:21 Rob Weir wrote:
> Please note, this is the official security bulletin, targeted for
> security professionals.  If you are an OpenOffice.org 3.3 user, and
> are able to apply the mentioned patch, then you are encouraged to do
> so.  If someone else supports or manages your desktop, then please
> forward this information to them.
>
> Additional support is available on our Community Forums:
>
> http://user.services.openoffice.org/
>
> And via our ooo-users mailing list:

> list
>
> Note:  This security patch for OpenOffice.org is made available to
> legacy OpenOffice.org users as a service by the Apache OpenOffice
> Project Management Committee.  The patch is made available under the
> Apache License, and due to its importance, we are releasing it outside
> of the standard release cycle.
>
> -Rob

Well... it's good news as there is an external patch.

But for Gentoo Linux users as OpenOffice-3.3.0 was delivered only as just binary
file "OOo_3.3.0_Linux_x86-64_install-rpm-wJRE_en-US.tar.gz" from official
OpenOffice.org site.

So now there is only fast and simple way to escape this vulnerability for
Gentoo users - using current binary build of Apach Open Office 3.4 beta unpacked
to "/opt" directory for example.

[Translation] Re: CVE-2012-0037: OpenOffice.org data leakage vulnerability

Posted by Paolo Pozzan <pa...@z2z.it>.
The italian community would like to translate the bullettin. It will
really help us to have the originals ODT versions of the README.pdf
files. Can someone provide them?
Thanks
Paolo Pozzan

Posted by Stacie Jones <qu...@gmail.com>.
Hello,
I am a One Stop Shop for myself. If I knew about security, I'd manage it. I
guess I can manage this.
Thanks Stacie

Posted by John Boyle <jb...@harbornet.com>.

Posted by Niall Martin <ni...@rndmartin.cix.co.uk>.
That's good  advice:  apart from odd bits of stuff that belong with the op system and its
maintenance I put all programmes in a separate partition from the op system, helping to
minimize the mess that Windows makes of things.  I also have a separate partition for data,
on a separate hard disc.

On 28 Mar 2012 at 15:28, Scooter C wrote:

Send reply to:  	ooo-users@incubator.apache.org
Date sent:      	Wed, 28 Mar 2012 15:28:30 -0400
From:           	Scooter C <sc...@scootersdesk.com>
To:             	"ooo-users@incubator.apache.org >> Group for Users Open
Office" <oo...@incubator.apache.org>
Subject:        	Fwd: Re: CVE-2012-0037: OpenOffice.org data leakage
vulnerability

> Two points I want to make.
> The PDF instructions WERE adequate but misleading. I agree with John,
> it should be more straight-forward or installable.
>
> One trick I learned years ago: Always put the program files where YOU
> want them, not where the installer normally puts them. MY OOa Files
> are in a folder named Office. Easy to keep track of new or replaced
> files. I found unordfmi.dll easily, (due to prior experiences, I
> renamed the file adding unordfmi.dll.OLD to the
> extention,just-in-case). I copied the new unordfmi.dll to the same
> folder and that was that - no complaining from the system.
>
> Take Care,
> Scooter

Niall Martin
Phone 0131 4678468
Please reply to: niall<at>rndmartin.cix.co.uk

Fwd: Re: CVE-2012-0037: OpenOffice.org data leakage vulnerability

Posted by Scooter C <sc...@scootersdesk.com>.
Two points I want to make.

Posted by Stacie Jones <qu...@gmail.com>.
Is there another thread where people can be rude and argue? I don't like
that cluttering up my inbox.

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.
Evidently there is a readme file: "Download, unzip and follow the instructions in the enclosed readme.pdf file."

Posted by Nicholas Kircher <Ni...@sil.org>.

Greetings:

I have been following this thread with interest.  When I got to the
download that you clearly listed in your message, I got the following
message, " 403 Forbidden, you do not have permission to access...on this
server" and then it gave the mirror site name where I have the dots.  I
then tried to use other mirror sites and I got the same message.  The
first time I tried downloading the instructions, I wondered what all the
sites were for.  I didn't work through all the sites the other times,
thinking that I was missing something or that I would be going to
download something that either I didn't need or I might access something
damaging to my computer.

This time, when I started to work my way down the various http sites on
the download mirrors and kept getting the "403 Forbidden..." message
when I pressed the download buttons. After, four times, getting the same
message, I finally found one mirror that downloaded the instructions.
John was more vocal about his frustration but I experienced similar
kinds of emotions in my following of your instructions... I don't know
what needs to change...

Thank you for your attention on this.

Sincerely,

Nick Kircher

ooo-users-help@incubator.**apache.org<oo...@incubator.apache.org>

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by John Boyle <jh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.
Hi Boiling John,

Posted by John Boyle <jb...@harbornet.com>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 07/04/2012 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> What would be the best way to translate both
> http://www.openoffice.org/security/cves/CVE-2012-0037.html
> and readme.pdf? Perhaps the following?
> - Create a new page under http://www.openoffice.org/it
> - Add an "Italian version" link to
> http://www.openoffice.org/security/cves/CVE-2012-0037.html pointing to
> the new page
> - In the new page, preserve all links to the ZIP file and when "the
> enclosed readme.pdf file" is mentioned, link the Italian version too.

I've now implemented this.

http://www.openoffice.org/security/cves/CVE-2012-0037.html
now contains a section named "Unofficial translations" with a link to
the Italian version ("Unofficial" here meaning "not reviewed by the
security team"); conversely, the Italian translation links back to the
English page as the "Official version".

All links to the patch are preserved in the Italian version; we merely
provide an additional Italian readme.pdf for convenience.

If there is anything to fix, feel free to do so.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: CVE-2012-0037: OpenOffice.org data leakage vulnerability

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 22/03/2012 Rob Weir wrote:
> Mitigation: OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 and 3.4 beta users should install the
> patch at:  http://www.openoffice.org/security/cves/CVE-2012-0037.html

What would be the best way to translate both
http://www.openoffice.org/security/cves/CVE-2012-0037.html
and readme.pdf? Perhaps the following?

- Create a new page under http://www.openoffice.org/it
- Add an "Italian version" link to
http://www.openoffice.org/security/cves/CVE-2012-0037.html pointing to
the new page
- In the new page, preserve all links to the ZIP file and when "the
enclosed readme.pdf file" is mentioned, link the Italian version too.

Would this work? We already have all translations available and of
course we don't want to touch the ZIP archive containing readme.pdf, so
this seems the most reasonable solution.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: CVE-2012-0037: OpenOffice.org data leakage vulnerability

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 6:48 AM, Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> It occurs to me that this should also be published on the announce list.

I agree.  But maybe wait for the Linux version of the patch?

-Rob

Posted by Kazunari Hirano <kh...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 7:48 PM, Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> It occurs to me that this should also be published on the announce list.
+1   I think so, too.
Then I will announce it on our native language list,
ooo-general-ja@incubator.apache.org, in Japanese, with Japanese
instructions how to install it :)

Thanks,
khirano
--
khirano@apache.org
Apache OpenOffice (incubating)

Re: CVE-2012-0037: OpenOffice.org data leakage vulnerability

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.