Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Felix Knecht <fe...@apache.org> on 2008/01/06 21:06:34 UTC

FCKeditor

Sorry, took wrong mail sender address (not the one I subscribed)

Dear all

After reading a draft of third party license policy (http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html) and reading the FAQs
(http://apache.org/foundation/licence-FAQ.html#GPL) I'm still need some help if it's a no go or not.

I'd like to integrate FCKeditor in the Apache Cocoon project. FCKeditor is distributed with different licenses like GPL,
LGPL, MPL, CDL (http://www.fckeditor.net/license).

OOH the draft says that GPL is a nogo, OTH the FAQ says that GPLv3.0 is compatible to Apache License 2.0.

FCKeditor licence.txt says:
<zitate>
FCKeditor - The text editor for Internet - http://www.fckeditor.net
Copyright (C) 2003-2007 Frederico Caldeira Knabben

Licensed under the terms of any of the following licenses at your
choice:

 - GNU General Public License Version 2 or later (the "GPL")
   http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
   (See Appendix A)

</zitate>

Following the FAQ I can integrate FCKeditor without any problems in Apache Cocoon just adding the source of FCKeditor
into the cocoon code (FCKeditor uses GPLv2 or later --> later ==GPLv3 which is compatible to the Apache License).

After all my question:

Is it really that simple and I can integrate FCKeditors source code without any problems into Apache Cocoon?

Thanks for your help
Felix

Re: FCKeditor

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Jan 7, 2008 3:49 PM, Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Jan 7, 2008 7:04 AM, Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org> wrote:
> > I agree with Jeremias's comments.
> >
> > Note http://people.apache.org/~rubys/3party.html relabels this section
> > "reciprocal licenses", and opens the door slightly for scripting
> > languages.  After a brief glance at FCKeditor, I'm assuming that it is
> > Javascript.
>
> I don't see FCKeditor being classed as "For small amounts of source";
> so even by your newer 3party.html it is not useable as FCKeditor does
> not have a difference between its binary and source versions.

Roy said it a while back a lot more eloquently than I ever could, but
when we are dealing with artifacts are customarily provided and
consumed in source form, then us blindly applying a rule that we avoid
licenses that requires that such artifacts be provided in source form
is nonsensical and counter-productive.

However, I recognize that this opinion has not yet reached consensus.

> > I see it as Cocoon's responsibility to outline a policy by which it
> > ensures that the MPL licensed artifacts are not modified in the ASF
> > SVN, and that people who download Cocoon are made aware that this code
> > is under a different license.
>
> If we're going to go this way - I'd rather see us centralize such
> things - ie) a read only section for 3rd party works that Infra or
> Legal manage. Cocoon can svn:external to it.

That might be a reasonable proposal.  I may have said it poorly, but
what I intended to convey is that I would like for us to derive a
policy based on concrete use cases rather than theory on how things
should work.

> As it is, I don't see how Cocoon can be using this.

re: "As it is"... true.  That's why I would like to see a policy
outlined.  Preferably by the people who know the use case and are most
affected.  Once a proposal is in place, we can explore changing "as it
is".

> Hen

- Sam Ruby

Re: FCKeditor

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.

Re: FCKeditor

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Re: FCKeditor

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <je...@apache.org>.
(IANAL)

Careful! The Apache License 2.0 is compatible to the GPLv3 but not the
other way around! You can use ALv2 software in GPL software but using
GPL-licensed software in Apache products is a strict no-go.

However, it seems you can still use FCKeditor but only under the MPL,
i.e. as a "Category B: Binary Licenses Only".

On 06.01.2008 21:06:34 Felix Knecht wrote:
> Sorry, took wrong mail sender address (not the one I subscribed)
>

> Dear all
>
> After reading a draft of third party license policy (http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html) and reading the FAQs
> (http://apache.org/foundation/licence-FAQ.html#GPL) I'm still need some help if it's a no go or not.
>
> I'd like to integrate FCKeditor in the Apache Cocoon project. FCKeditor is distributed with different licenses like GPL,
> LGPL, MPL, CDL (http://www.fckeditor.net/license).
>
> OOH the draft says that GPL is a nogo, OTH the FAQ says that GPLv3.0 is compatible to Apache License 2.0.
>
> FCKeditor licence.txt says:
> <zitate>
> FCKeditor - The text editor for Internet - http://www.fckeditor.net
> Copyright (C) 2003-2007 Frederico Caldeira Knabben
>
> Licensed under the terms of any of the following licenses at your
> choice:
>
>  - GNU General Public License Version 2 or later (the "GPL")
>    http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
>    (See Appendix A)

> </zitate>
>
> Following the FAQ I can integrate FCKeditor without any problems in Apache Cocoon just adding the source of FCKeditor
> into the cocoon code (FCKeditor uses GPLv2 or later --> later ==GPLv3 which is compatible to the Apache License).
>

> After all my question:
>
> Is it really that simple and I can integrate FCKeditors source code without any problems into Apache Cocoon?
>

> Thanks for your help
> Felix

Jeremias Maerki