Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by cs...@contiteves.com on 2005/03/11 10:03:48 UTC

DTD - XML Schema and validation

Hello users,

sorry maybe that's an off-topic, yet I would ask about validating XML
Schema files:

at the moment a schema file can only be validated against the dtd file for
XML Schema created by w3c?

If yes, why cannot it validated against the schema counterpart of that dtd
file? I know that there exists already also a schema file for XML Schema
files....

So in other words a schema file can only be dtd-validated and not
schema-validated?

Thx!

Kind regards,

Csaba Szucs

Re: DTD - XML Schema and validation

Posted by Gareth Reakes <ga...@parthenoncomputing.com>.
Hi,

csaba.szucs@contiteves.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> thx for Your answer.
>
> Another question:
>  so what I can do with xerces with a schema file written  in the W3C XML
> schema language is to validate it against its DTD file.
>
> And then do I get a valid schema file? Or not exactly?

The DTD can only check constraints that DTDs support so the answer is
not exactly.

Cheers,

Gareth

--
Gareth Reakes, Managing Director      Parthenon Computing
+44-1865-811184                  http://www.parthcomp.com

Re: DTD - XML Schema and validation

Posted by cs...@contiteves.com.
Hello,

thx for Your answer.

Another question:
 so what I can do with xerces with a schema file written  in the W3C XML
schema language is to validate it against its DTD file.

And then do I get a valid schema file? Or not exactly?

Thx!

Kind regards,

Csaba Szucs

Gareth Reakes <ga...@parthenoncomputing.com>
03/11/2005 10:08 AM
Please respond to
xerces-j-user@xml.apache.org

xerces-j-user@xml.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: DTD - XML Schema and validation

Hi,

                 Xerces makes no guarantees about the validity of a
schema. Some
checking is performed (quite a lot, actually), but all that Xerces
guarantees is to validate a document against a valid schema. To
validate schemas take a look at a tool like sqc

http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/xmlsqc?open&l=xml-
dev,t=grx,p=shecheck

Although I don't recall what version they are up to now.

                 The reason you cannot use the schema for schemas to
validate a schema
with a schema validator (lol) is because there are special exceptions
made for the schema for schema that are not permitted in normal schemas
(For example, base types are created).

Hope this helps,

Gareth

Posted by Gareth Reakes <ga...@parthenoncomputing.com>.