Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Charles Gregory <cg...@hwcn.org> on 2010/01/19 16:28:10 UTC

Re: Wrong functionality of SUBJ_ALL_CAPS in mixed English and Greek subject

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010, Mike Cardwell wrote:
: Then I don't know the Greek alphabet. The relevant subroutine from
: SpamAssassin::Plugin::HeaderEval is below:
:    $subject =~ s/[^a-zA-Z]//g;          # only look at letters

I think the 'issue' is that spamassassin *should* have some 'higher level'
check for the *language* of the header. If it is 'encoded' in a non-Latin
characterset, then it should 'know' it cannot perform tests like all-caps.
I thought I had read somewhere that it *does* this. Was I wrong, or did
this 'sanity check' somehow get omitted during upgrades?

The 'problem' with the all-caps test is that it is designed to eliminate
extraneous non-alphabetic characters, to get around simple spammer tricks
like gappy or obfuscated text.

To the OP: Is it possible that the 'Greek' is being used, but not properly
encoded, so that the sanity check I mention above would fail? I
occasionally see non-English subjects that slip by the 'faraway' character
set tests because they weren't encoded properly....

- C

Re: [sa] Wrong functionality of SUBJ_ALL_CAPS in mixed English and Greek subject

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Charles Gregory wrote on Fri, 22 Jan 2010 09:55:56 -0500 (EST):

> Yup. Lazy. Fixed now. Thanks.

Thank you, Charles. This makes really a difference for those of us who use
a client that can apply different appearance to quoted text. Thanks,
again!

Kai

Re: [sa] Re: Wrong functionality of SUBJ_ALL_CAPS in mixed English and Greek subject

Posted by Charles Gregory <cg...@hwcn.org>.
On Fri, 22 Jan 2010, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 Jan 2010, Mike Cardwell wrote:
>> : Then I don't know the Greek alphabet. The relevant subroutine from
>> : SpamAssassin::Plugin::HeaderEval is below:
>> :    $subject =~ s/[^a-zA-Z]//g;          # only look at letters
> On 19.01.10 10:28, Charles Gregory wrote:
>> I think the 'issue' is that spamassassin *should* have some 'higher level'
>> check for the *language* of the header.
> you apparently mean "charset" :)

Yup.

> btw you have been asked to use ">" for quoting, haven't you?

Yup. Lazy. Fixed now. Thanks.

- C

Re: Wrong functionality of SUBJ_ALL_CAPS in mixed English and Greek subject

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.