Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Nick Travers <n....@gmail.com> on 2016/10/28 20:33:47 UTC

Intro + getting started

Hi Beamers,

I've been following along the lists for a while now ("long time listener,
first time caller"), and met a few of you at Strata in September. Loved all
the talks.

After using Beam (+ Dataflow runner) for some of my side projects, I'd love
to jump in and start contributing. Never having worked on libraries (more
application development) or OSS for that matter, it would be good to pick
up some of the smaller tickets as I feel my way around the codebase.

Is it possible to be added to the Jira? And is it just a matter of picking
up unassigned tickets? I see that there are some "newbie" / "starter"
tickets that are already assigned but have been open for a while now. The
AutoValue tickets looked like a good place to start.

Also, is the Slack channel active?

Thanks! Looking forward to getting stuck in!

- nick

Re: Intro + getting started

Posted by Neelesh Salian <ns...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Nick,

Welcome.

There are a list of starter jira issues (labeled starter), that could help you
to get familiar with the code base.

Feel free to grab and assign to yourself, and start contributing.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-407?filter=
12315361&jql=project%20%3D%20BEAM%20AND%20labels%20%3D%20starter

--
Neelesh Srinivas Salian
Engineer

Re: Intro + getting started

Posted by Nick Travers <n....@gmail.com>.
Oh cool. I haven't checked the site in a while. Nice additions!

Re: Intro + getting started

Posted by Dan Halperin <dh...@google.com.INVALID>.
Hey Nick,