Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net> on 2006/05/05 14:49:06 UTC

security with @rendered

Is it secure to limit access to a backing bean action simply by using
the 'rendered' attribute to control when it is displayed?  Or is it
possible for a malicious user to construct a URL that still invokes the
backing bean method, even when the commandButton for it is not rendered
for that user?

Dave Brondsema
Software Developer
Cornerstone University

Re: security with @rendered

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 5/5/06, Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net> wrote:

> Andrew Robinson wrote:
> > Depends on if you are using client side or server side state.
> > Technically with client side state the user can invoke any action.
> > With server side state there is no way. If you are really concerned,
> > at security checks to your action methods or use JBoss-Seam with EJB3
> > managed security.
> >

> I'm using server-side state.
>

> > On 5/5/06, Cagatay Civici <ca...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> At first glance I dont think it is possible since JSF uses http post.
> >>

> So a hacker would have to use a tool besides a browser to construct the
> http post request.  But they could.

Well behaved components will skip decode/validation/update processing on
components where rendered=false, so even an attempt to maliciously set
values for disabled components *should* get ignored.

Craig

Re: security with @rendered

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.

--
Dave Brondsema
Software Developer

Re: security with @rendered

Posted by Andrew Robinson <an...@gmail.com>.
Depends on if you are using client side or server side state.
Technically with client side state the user can invoke any action.
With server side state there is no way. If you are really concerned,
at security checks to your action methods or use JBoss-Seam with EJB3
managed security.

-Andrew

Re: security with @rendered

Posted by Cagatay Civici <ca...@gmail.com>.