Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net> on 2004/08/22 21:27:06 UTC

Perhaps use BOINC in the future for anti-spam development?

I was poking around and found that the Seti@Home folks now suggest using
BOINC (http://boinc.berkeley.edu/) instead of their "classic" background
running process.

BOINC is basically a way of distributing work between millions of
independent computers who churn a bit for you, then return some results.

Nothing we do now would need that kind of capacity, but it's something
to keep in mind since they're apparently open to other projects not
necessarily from Berkeley.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"We use a NetApp 820 with Oracle8i (running on win2k)- The machine

Re: Perhaps use BOINC in the future for anti-spam development?

Posted by "Malte S. Stretz" <ms...@gmx.net>.
On Sunday 22 August 2004 22:29 CET Theo Van Dinter wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 10:27:34PM +0200, Malte S. Stretz wrote:
> > Maybe we could run the perceptron/GA on the nightly mass checks via
> > BOINC -- daily fresh scores for the world by the world :)
>
> That's actually a partial goal for 3.1 ... ;)  Get to the point where
> we can at least do weekly updates including scores, etc.  Don't need
> BOINC for that, need more nightly run people.

/me wonders why suddenly everybody looks at him... :)

Good news:  I'll replace my current home server (a P100 which I had to put
up after the last box went up in flames) wit a bit larger iron.  Then I
should be able to do nightly checks again.

Cheers,
Malte

--
[SGT] Simon G. Tatham: "How to Report Bugs Effectively"
      <http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html>

Re: Perhaps use BOINC in the future for anti-spam development?

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 10:27:34PM +0200, Malte S. Stretz wrote:
> Maybe we could run the perceptron/GA on the nightly mass checks via BOINC --
> daily fresh scores for the world by the world :)

That's actually a partial goal for 3.1 ... ;)  Get to the point where
we can at least do weekly updates including scores, etc.  Don't need
BOINC for that, need more nightly run people.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"I'll have to be careful when I walk past that thing ... It'll blow the rest
 of my hair off."                - Isadore Katz

Re: Perhaps use BOINC in the future for anti-spam development?

Posted by "Malte S. Stretz" <ms...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Doc Schneider <ma...@maddoc.net>.

Theo Van Dinter wrote:
> I was poking around and found that the Seti@Home folks now suggest using
> BOINC (http://boinc.berkeley.edu/) instead of their "classic" background
> running process.
>
> BOINC is basically a way of distributing work between millions of
> independent computers who churn a bit for you, then return some results.
>
> Nothing we do now would need that kind of capacity, but it's something
> to keep in mind since they're apparently open to other projects not
> necessarily from Berkeley.

Yes I use the BOINC client for the new SETI@Home. Works ok. Always
wondered if there was something else that could be done with it. Never
know what evil lurks in the mind of the Ninjas! Moooohahahhaa.

-Doc (SA/SARE/SURBL Ninja)