Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> on 2015/10/01 19:48:03 UTC

Whimsy approachability (was Re: Kill Marvin the bot)

On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 7:14 AM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:

> Second: Gulp.  The biggest "problem" with Marvin the bot is that it has
> (had?) one primary maintainer.  A problem that Whimsy shares.
>
> I plan to address that problem.
>
> For the near term, my focus will be on making it possible for people to run
> individual whimsy tools on their own machine (Mac OS/X, Linux, docker
> container, Vagrant VM) so that people can try out changes before
> contributing them back.

+1 to focus on this.  I spent an hour or so trying to figure out how to get
started with whimsy, with the goal of trying to figure out where a reminders
tool might go, but I haven't yet wrapped my head around it.

It seems like there are a bunch of gnarly dependencies.  For people whose Ruby
skills are minimal or rusty or non-existent -- including myself and most
potential contributors to Whimsy -- that's a high hurdle.

What would be ideal is to support the following workflow:

0.  (Install ruby/rake, if not bundled with OS)
1.  Checkout whimsy from source control.
2.  Tinker with source code.
3.  Run `rake test`.
4.  Submit contribution.

Accomplished software devs can fake their way through modifying Ruby source
code with the help of compiler errors, even if they don't know the language
well.  But if people have to install a bunch of dependencies using
domain-specific build tools rather than pure version control commands, that's
a much more significant barrier to entry.

For now, how about a 1-page crude static HTML website for whimsical.apache.org
which describes where all the source code lives?

Marvin Humphrey

Re: Whimsy approachability (was Re: Kill Marvin the bot)

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 1:48 PM, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> wrote:

> For now, how about a 1-page crude static HTML website for whimsical.apache.org
> which describes where all the source code lives?

It looks like whimsical.apache.org wasn't requested or set up:

Anybody want to take the lead on making this happen?

Meanwhile, I've updated the README:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/trunk/projects/whimsy/README

> Marvin Humphrey

- Sam Ruby

Re: Whimsy approachability (was Re: Kill Marvin the bot)

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 9:52 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 9:28 PM Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>
> I know for me, I tried getting through this part.  I couldn't figure out
> what brought in bundle,

That would be "gem install bundler" from:

https://github.com/rubys/whimsy-agenda#direct

> found some tool that was going to hot swap my ruby
> versions for me,

The two most popular such tools are rbenv and rvm.  rvm is more
functional, but also more intrusive (for example, it aliases "cd" in
bash) .  Generally people who run on OS/X prefer rbenv; rvm is more
common on Linux.

> which supposedly would bring it in, but no luck there.
> I'll look at the instructions again to see if I was missing something.
> FWIW, I'm running Yosemite.

Cool.  If you have questions, please post them.  If you see
deficiencies in the documentation (for example, the lack of mention of
rvm/rbenv), lets fix this together.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 9:28 PM Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 5:00 PM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 4:21 PM, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>
> wrote:

> >> Well, what does it mean to meet half way?
> >
> > You want instructions on the site.  I've provided instructions that
> > don't work for you.  Moving those instructions to the site won't help.
> >
> > I think getting instructions that work should be done before they are
> > posted.  Getting feedback on the instructions is what I am seeking.
>
> I just reverified that the Docker instructions are up to date.
>
> Recapping:
>
> Ultimately you will want to parse podlings.xml.  This would involve
> the installation of an XML parser.  Which means you will need an
> environment in which you are willing to install stuff.  If you are not
> willing to do that directly on your MacBook (or equivalent), then you
> WILL need an environment in which you can do so.
>
> If you want me to post that warning on the whimsy (or whimsical) site,
> I can do so.
>
> It isn't just an XML parser.  For example, the tests are defined for
> the board agenda tool actually launches a headless browser (based on
> webkit) and runs javascript and parses the web pages that are
> produced.  This involves not only a number of Ruby gems, but also a
> number of Javascript packages.
>
> This won't be needed for a tool that sends out reminders, but the
> 'mail' gem might be handy.
>
> Tools like the board agenda tool provide a Gemfile (for Ruby) and a
> packages.json (for Javascript) that enable you to install everything
> you need to run the tool using the following commands:
>
>   bundle install
>   npm install

I know for me, I tried getting through this part.  I couldn't figure out
what brought in bundle, found some tool that was going to hot swap my ruby
versions for me, which supposedly would bring it in, but no luck there.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 4:21 PM, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 11:02 AM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>
>> Lets see if we can meet each other half way, and then circle back to
>> updating the site.
>
> Well, what does it mean to meet half way?

You want instructions on the site.  I've provided instructions that
don't work for you.  Moving those instructions to the site won't help.

I think getting instructions that work should be done before they are
posted.  Getting feedback on the instructions is what I am seeking.

>> For starters, whimsy is not monolithic, and different tools are at
>> different places.
>
> OK -- so I should be able to then create a reminders tool which is independent
> from everything else in whimsy and doesn't have any dependencies outside the
> Ruby standard library... right?

No.  Every language these days has package managers which will help
with dependencies.  Think CPAN, PEAR, pip, maven, npm, etc.  For Ruby,
it is gem.

>> Next, there are steps between step 1 and 2 above.  Every tool will
>> need a data source, typically svn or LDAP.  The svn files will need to
>> be checked out, and you may already have done so; if so you will need
>> to tell the tool where to find the checkout (different people
>> understandably have different conventions).  For LDAP, you will need
>> to configure your machine somewhat.
>
> Extra version control checkouts are acceptable, because I and other potential
> contributors already grok those tools.
>
> Also possibly acceptable: multiple version control checkouts/clones, followed
> by a shell script which sets up environment variables.
>
>     svn co [...] whimsy
>     cd whimsy
>     source bin/setup_env.sh
>
>> I've put together some places to get started (in preferred order):
>>
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/trunk/projects/whimsy/README
>>
>> https://github.com/rubys/whimsy-agenda#readme
>>
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/trunk/projects/whimsy/www/test/roster
>>
>> If I can get people to try them (in order), indicate how far they got
>> on their own, what changes they feel are needed (feel free to directly
>> commit them and/or submit a pull request), and where they got stuck,
>> I'll try to help.
>
> I'm "stuck" at `gem install whimsy-asf`.  Ruby comes with my operating system.
> I don't want to mess with the system installation, which meeds that I need to
> research how to persuade the `gem` tool to install into an arbitrary lib
> directory, then modify some environment var so that ruby knows about the
> custom lib directory, etc.

That's useful information.  I could talk you through rvm or rbenv,
which will allow you to manage separate installations of ruby and
associated gems.  But they will still require you to install
something.

But if you want complete isolation, I would suggest a docker image or
a vagrant VM.  This will take care of setting up everything, and not
affect your system install.

Given this requirement, can I suggest that you start with the *second*
link in my original list, namely
https://github.com/rubys/whimsy-agenda#readme ?

> I, and other potential contributors, can surely figure all this out in due
> time -- but I don't think we should have to.  And I feel as though if I
> compromise with you now, guzzle the kool-aid and spend N hours tricking out my
> system, that my point about all these dependencies posing a barrier to entry
> will be lost.
>
> Marvin Humphrey

- Sam Ruby

Re: Whimsy approachability (was Re: Kill Marvin the bot)

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Sun, Oct 4, 2015 at 4:19 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> I didn't try the other two yet, but the irb version works fine.  I'll
> tinker with it more when I get some time.
>
> I do have a working class that will parse the podlings.xml into a usable
> data structure.  I have some functions in there that will pull out the
> reporting podlings based on reporting group.  Seems to work fine so far.
> I'll pull a request when I get some specs written.
>
> After doing all this, I'm feeling like a ruby expert.

Cool!

A good final location for the podlings parsing logic would be:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/trunk/projects/whimsy/lib/whimsy/asf/podlings.rb

This would then be included in the whimsy-asf gem, and therefore be
available to all tools.

Note: I said final location; there is no problem with putting this
logic elsewhere initially.  Most of the logic in the whimsy-asf gem
started out as a part of a tool.

> John

- Sam Ruby

Re: Whimsy approachability (was Re: Kill Marvin the bot)

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 4:21 PM, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> wrote:

> I'm "stuck" at `gem install whimsy-asf`.  Ruby comes with my operating system.
> I don't want to mess with the system installation, which meeds that I need to
> research how to persuade the `gem` tool to install into an arbitrary lib
> directory, then modify some environment var so that ruby knows about the
> custom lib directory, etc.

I've now done the research.

How to persuade the `gem` tool to install into an arbitrary lib directory:

$ export GEM_HOME=/arbitrary/lib/directory

How to modify some environment var so that ruby knows about the custom
lib directory:

$ export GEM_PATH=/arbitrary/lib/directory

 With these two environment variables set, and presuming that you have
configure LDAP, you should be able to:

  gem install whimsy-asf
  ruby examples/board.rb --port=9292

When you are done, feel free to rm -rf /arbitrary/lib/directory.  Or
keep it around for future use.  Note that sudo is not required and
your system configuration is not messed with.

Notes:

1) GEM_PATH is actually a path, so you can specify multiple paths
separated by colons and each will be searched in order.  You can use
the command 'gem env' to see your current path.  If you unset
GEM_PATH, you will likely see an entry like the following:
/Users/rubys/.gem/ruby/2.0.0.

2) gem install will install all necessary dependencies for a single
gem.  Applications that make use of multiple gems typically provide a
file name `Gemfile` that lists the versions of the gems that the
application depends on, and a command `bundle install` is sufficient
to download all necessary dependencies.

3) I haven't done the research for node/npm, but running "npm config
ls -l" leads me to believe that npm is equally as configurable.

> I, and other potential contributors, can surely figure all this out in due
> time -- but I don't think we should have to.  And I feel as though if I
> compromise with you now, guzzle the kool-aid and spend N hours tricking out my
> system, that my point about all these dependencies posing a barrier to entry
> will be lost.

My personal preference is NOT to try to "trick out my system", but
rather to use the tools as others on sites like stackoverflow do.
Generally, I've found that this increases the odds that solutions I
find there work for me.

In cases where I desire additional isolation, I look to running a VM
or a Docker container.

> Marvin Humphrey

- Sam Ruby

Re: Whimsy approachability (was Re: Kill Marvin the bot)

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 2:04 PM, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:

>> For starters, whimsy is not monolithic, and different tools are at
>> different places.
>
> not monolithic as in systemd not being monolithic?
>
> *grin* *duck*

Can I get you to try
https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/trunk/projects/whimsy/README
and report back?

- Sam Ruby

Re: Whimsy approachability (was Re: Kill Marvin the bot)

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 1:48 PM, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 7:14 AM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>
>> Second: Gulp.  The biggest "problem" with Marvin the bot is that it has
>> (had?) one primary maintainer.  A problem that Whimsy shares.
>>
>> I plan to address that problem.
>>
>> For the near term, my focus will be on making it possible for people to run
>> individual whimsy tools on their own machine (Mac OS/X, Linux, docker
>> container, Vagrant VM) so that people can try out changes before
>> contributing them back.
>
> +1 to focus on this.  I spent an hour or so trying to figure out how to get
> started with whimsy, with the goal of trying to figure out where a reminders
> tool might go, but I haven't yet wrapped my head around it.
>
> It seems like there are a bunch of gnarly dependencies.  For people whose Ruby
> skills are minimal or rusty or non-existent -- including myself and most
> potential contributors to Whimsy -- that's a high hurdle.
>
> What would be ideal is to support the following workflow:
>
> 0.  (Install ruby/rake, if not bundled with OS)
> 1.  Checkout whimsy from source control.
> 2.  Tinker with source code.
> 3.  Run `rake test`.
> 4.  Submit contribution.
>
> Accomplished software devs can fake their way through modifying Ruby source
> code with the help of compiler errors, even if they don't know the language
> well.  But if people have to install a bunch of dependencies using
> domain-specific build tools rather than pure version control commands, that's
> a much more significant barrier to entry.
>
> For now, how about a 1-page crude static HTML website for whimsical.apache.org
> which describes where all the source code lives?

Lets see if we can meet each other half way, and then circle back to
updating the site.

For starters, whimsy is not monolithic, and different tools are at
different places.  They likely will be consolidated once the whimsy
svn is set up, but that hasn't happened yet; see

Next, there are steps between step 1 and 2 above.  Every tool will
need a data source, typically svn or LDAP.  The svn files will need to
be checked out, and you may already have done so; if so you will need
to tell the tool where to find the checkout (different people
understandably have different conventions).  For LDAP, you will need
to configure your machine somewhat.

I've put together some places to get started (in preferred order):

https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/trunk/projects/whimsy/README

https://github.com/rubys/whimsy-agenda#readme

https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/trunk/projects/whimsy/www/test/roster

If I can get people to try them (in order), indicate how far they got
on their own, what changes they feel are needed (feel free to directly
commit them and/or submit a pull request), and where they got stuck,
I'll try to help.

> Marvin Humphrey

- Sam Ruby