Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Chris Graham <ch...@warpspeed.com.au> on 2008/12/09 02:15:15 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: Re: Re[users@httpd] direct Issues (Migrating from 1.3 to 2.0)

awarnier wrote:

> Chris Graham wrote:
>> One other suggestion was to do this:
>>
>> RedirectMatch  Permanent /(.*) http://hudson.warpspeed.com.au/hudson/$1
>>
>> However, that ends up with the infinite loop as well. :-(
>>
> Yes.
> What probably happens is :
> - a request comes in for / (or /x..)
> - it gets caught by the redirect rule, and a 302 (moved) response is
> sent back to the browser, indicating a new address of
> http://hudson.warpspeed.com.au/hudson/  (or ../hudson/x..)
> - the browser immediately and transparently sends back a request for
> /hudson/
> - this request is caught by the same redirect rule, results in a new 302
> (moved) response, with an address this time of
> http://hudson.warpspeed.com.au/hudson/hudson/
> - and so on for ever
>
> It would not matter if the server to which your redirect sends the
> request was not the same as this one.  But since here it is the same,
> you loop infinitely.

So is this a bug (as it worked as I need it to in 1.3), or just an
incompatable change? [or a bug that's been fixed from 1.3?]

I'll look into the rewrite stuff.

Thanks for your help.

-Chris

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Re: Re[users@httpd] direct Issues (Migrating from 1.3 to 2.0)

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 2:26 AM, André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com> wrote:
> Eric Covener wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 8:15 PM, Chris Graham <ch...@warpspeed.com.au>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> So is this a bug (as it worked as I need it to in 1.3), or just an
>>> incompatable change? [or a bug that's been fixed from 1.3?]
>>
>> IMO there's no reason both your rules shouldn't loop.
>>
> Is that the same as saying that there is a reason both rules should loop ?

Yes, it looks pretty silly quoted :)

Appending the one-liner to 1.3 "loops" as expected by its definition
-- it must as it would be a bug if /firedragon/ didn't get redirected
to /firedragon/firedragon/ ad infinitum.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Re: Re[users@httpd] direct Issues (Migrating from 1.3 to 2.0)

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Eric Covener wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 8:15 PM, Chris Graham <ch...@warpspeed.com.au> wrote:
>
>> So is this a bug (as it worked as I need it to in 1.3), or just an
>> incompatable change? [or a bug that's been fixed from 1.3?]
>
> IMO there's no reason both your rules shouldn't loop.

Is that the same as saying that there is a reason both rules should loop ?

I think what Eric is saying is that it should have looped in 1.3 also.
Don't take this to mean that I did not say that it should not have
looped, though.
;-)

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Re: Re[users@httpd] direct Issues (Migrating from 1.3 to 2.0)

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.