Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Thierry Kormann <Th...@sophia.inria.fr> on 2000/10/31 09:04:33 UTC

Re: Regression tools For Batik: Regard(Regression Guard :-)

> Hello,
>
> Regard, the name, is an idea from Sheng who works with me on SVG here.
> Sheng has put together a proposal for a regression tool that would
> help us, we think, in our development. The idea is to have a tool that
> would automatically detect many kinds of regressions. Sheng has split
> that into two tools, as follows.
> Thanks for having a look and sending us comments. We are planning
> to start actively work on this (and leverage Thierry's JPEG transcoder)
> next week.

Great idea. So I think we should add some policy rules when we have changes.

Proposal :

Each time, we have a diff, post the mailing list the differences
and ask anybody if the new result is correct compared to the old
one. May be for bug fix and minor changes, the guy can commit but
still inform the mailing list.

---

When I first though about implementing a binary diff tool on images for Batik,
I though that each one has to generate the orignal images on his computer as
the system fonts might have different metrics (so the images will always
have diff from windows to linux for example). ie. I can't use windows generated
images as ref images on my linux desktop.

Let me know if you need comments or help.

Sheng : I think you will have to improve my JPEG transcoder as it has been
coded in a hurry :) If you have time, may be you can add a resolution and an
aoi parameters. Something like :

java org.apache.batik.apps.rasterizer.Main -res 800x600 -aoi 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

with aoi in device space and that represents 4 points. May be a rectangle is
easier to add at the beginning.

I suggest to use the org.apache.batik.apps.regguard package name.

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Thierry.

--