Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com> on 2004/07/28 18:35:19 UTC

Re: Re: Why does work differently than ?

Hi, Andrew:

If you are going to show HTML try the <pre> tag and change the HTML tags
with "&lt;" and "&gt;" instead of  < and >.

What you are doing, Andrew, is not clear to me.  You have talked about
using <html:link> instead of <html:submit> to submit a form.  I have no
idea why you would ever think these two would work the same.  Ultimately,
Struts tags must become standard HTML, of course.  The <link> HTML tag is
simply not meant to be a substitute for the <input type='submit'> HTML
tag.  You also talk about other things.  I guess I missed the thread of
this conversation early, but the latter part seems somewhat goofy to me.  I
don't mean it IS goofy, of course, but just that what you are saying sounds
strange.  Why use <link> for a submission of a form?  I don't think <link>
ever submits a form, does it?

Michael

Re: Re: Re: Why does work differently than ?

Posted by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com>.
At 09:58 AM 7/28/2004, you wrote:
>i agree, what i'm attempting is kindof goofy.

Hi, Andy,

You are stuck in a bad solution and all the discussion is about the goofy
solution.  However, if you would, once again, just tell us what the problem
is, we can give you solutions, I would bet, that are not goofy.

My guess is that you are trying to get dynamic data from a form and need
multiple types of submissions.  In order to solve this problem, you have
got off the track and are using bizarre solution.  If you state what the
problem is, I am fairly certain, once again, that we can give you a
standard solution.  I would guess that you are unaware of the various
things Struts can do for you in this regard with a standard
submission.  Please tell us what the bottom problem is.  I am no longer
interested in the bizarre solution but would like to know what problem that
is supposed to solve.

Posted by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com>.
At 09:58 AM 7/28/2004, you wrote:
>if i was 'allowed' to use separate submit buttons i would do that.

YOU ARE ALLOWED TO USE SEPARATE SUBMIT BUTTONS.  PLEASE TELL US WHAT THE
DARN PROBLEM IS.

Re: Re: Re: Why does work differently than ?

Posted by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com>.
At 09:58 AM 7/28/2004, you wrote:
>if i was 'allowed' to use separate submit buttons i would do that.  or
>even radio buttons and a single submit button.  but i was asked to use
>hyperlinks...

Is this just a school problem where the instructor wants to see if you can
do something goofy?  If so, please let us know.  If not, then whoever told
you to use "hyperlinks" is just stuck themselves.  Is there any reason why
the actual problem is a secret? ///;-)

Re: Re: Re: Why does work differently than ?

Posted by Andrew Close <ac...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

i agree, what i'm attempting is kindof goofy.
i'm trying to submit a form using a hyper-link instead of a submit
button.  i have three links on the page that perform similar but
different actions.  each link sets a value in a hidden field that
should be picked up by the actionform upon submission and then passed
to my action.
you are right, hyperlinks do not submit forms like submit buttons. :)
that's why i was attempting to submit the form using javascript.
if i was 'allowed' to use separate submit buttons i would do that.  or
even radio buttons and a single submit button.  but i was asked to use
hyperlinks...

i'll try to remember not to submit html without wrapping it in <pre>
tags.  sorry about that. :)  and thanks for your reply.

andy