Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Scott Farquhar <sc...@atlassian.com> on 2002/02/02 02:49:15 UTC

Avalon Logging Toolkit

Can anyone explain why this toolkit exists?

http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/logkit/index.html

Seems like a straight rip-off from log4j?

--
Scott Farquhar :: scott@atlassian.com

Atlassian :: http://www.atlassian.com
      Supporting YOUR J2EE World

Re: Avalon Logging Toolkit

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
It is indeed a straight rip-off from log4j. What is most disturbing is
that this is happening within the boundaries of the foundation.  Some
people will condone such acts plagiarism in any way they can. It is
easier to ignore plagiarism than actually to deal with it.

--
Ceki Gülcü

Re: Avalon Logging Toolkit

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@mac.com>.
On Saturday, February 2, 2002, at 03:18 PM, Scott Farquhar wrote:

> Robert,

hi scott

> Thanks for your reasoned reply.  From a quick search of the mailing list,
>  it seems that well-thought out replies are common from yourself ;)

FYI that reply was extremely well thought out and took me quite a long
time to get exactly right.

i've seen one pointless logging flame war too many. i'm *sick* of them and
refuse to participate. IMHO giving reasons just fans the flames.

at least now you're asking the right questions. i'm not going to offer you
answers - everything i've built my opinions upon is there first hand in
the mail archives  (some of the most interesting stuff is on lists which
have been renamed so you might need to dig a little - dig further into the
earliest days of the commons, look at general when log4j was accepted into
jakarta and a lot earlier on the log4j lists).

form your own opinions but remember everyone has an agenda (mine is to
avoid any more logging flame wars ;)

- robert

Re: Avalon Logging Toolkit

Posted by Scott Farquhar <sc...@atlassian.com>.
Robert,

Thanks for your reasoned reply.  From a quick search of the mailing
list, it seems that well-thought out replies are common from yourself ;)

I probably shouldn't have posted my hasty email before - from reading
now, I can see how it looked like a troll.

I guess I was wondering why jakarta allows two different logging
toolkits.  If there is an advantage of the avalon one over log4j, then I
would like to hear the differences.  If these advantage can be rolled
into log4j - then we should do that.

It just seems like there is a lot of duplication of code (which the
Open-Source movement is supposed to address), and I was frustrated that
yet another toolkit was being released.

So my (more reasoned) questions are:

- what differences & advantages / disadvantages do one toolkit have over
the other?

- what prevents this toolkits being rolled into one?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Scott

Re: Avalon Logging Toolkit