Posted to user@uima.apache.org by nelson rivera <ne...@gmail.com> on 2016/12/22 19:49:47 UTC

Using optional argument -Duima.as.enable.jmx=false

I am testing recent uima-as 2.9.0 release. I try deploy a service
uima-as, with the new argument uima.as.enable.jmx with value "false",
i expected that the UIMA-AS will start with no JMX support and no port
will not be opened, but a port continue opening and Providing JMX
statistics of processing.

What should be the behavior of this argument?

This is the complete set of arguments JMX configured in the uima-as
service start:

-Duima.as.enable.jmx=false
-Duima.as.enable.jmx=false -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=$PORT

Re: Using optional argument -Duima.as.enable.jmx=false

Posted by Jaroslaw Cwiklik <ui...@gmail.com>.
Nelson, thanks for pointing this out. This parameter
(-Duima.as.enable.jmx=false)
disables ActiveMQ JMX port when running UIMA-AS extended tests. Per JIRA
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-5166 the fix addresses this
scenario only. The fix was motivated by a complaint from Apache infra team
which noticed an open RMI port while running UIMA-AS Jenkins regression
tests.

The UIMA-AS 2.9.0 README comments are misleading and suggest that this flag
can disable JMX port of the service.I need to rewrite the comment to
reflect the truth. Will open JIRA for this.

As far as I know there is no way in java code to override these

 -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=$PORT

These settings take effect before the jvm hands off control to a user code.
The java JMX Agent's registry which opens the port is not
accessible for the purpose of stopping the port once it is started. So
bottom line the comments are wrong and need to be fixed. I will address
this soon. To manage service jmx port use the above 4 -Dcom.sun.management..
 settings

- Jerry Cwiklik

With the above there is no way to disable the RMI port as far as I know.
The -D's are