Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brian Havard <br...@kheldar.apana.org.au> on 2001/04/17 17:53:01 UTC

Build/libtool question linking DSOs

I'm working on getting a mod_dav DLL to build on OS/2 & found that I need
-lsocket when linking. I thought it would be appropriate to add
$(EXTRA_LIBS) to the link line. Would doing so break any platforms or will
libtool handle it ok?

Re: Build/libtool question linking DSOs

Posted by Brian Havard <br...@kheldar.apana.org.au>.
On Tue, 17 Apr 2001 14:37:13 -0700, Greg Stein wrote:

>On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 01:53:01AM +1000, Brian Havard wrote:
>> I'm working on getting a mod_dav DLL to build on OS/2 & found that I need
>> -lsocket when linking. I thought it would be appropriate to add
>> $(EXTRA_LIBS) to the link line. Would doing so break any platforms or will
>> libtool handle it ok?
>
>More appropriate is to remove the offending call to the socket library.
>ntohs() and htons() in dav/main/props.c, right?

Yup.

>Just go into props.c and insert a little #ifdef OS2 around those things, and
>copy the value straight over. That code needs to change anyways, so save
>yourself some grief now.

I'd prefer not to do that kind of thing. There's actually a very simple way
to solve it, adding the symbol "_swaps" to the manual exports list so dav
gets it from the core.

Re: Build/libtool question linking DSOs

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 01:53:01AM +1000, Brian Havard wrote:
> I'm working on getting a mod_dav DLL to build on OS/2 & found that I need
> -lsocket when linking. I thought it would be appropriate to add
> $(EXTRA_LIBS) to the link line. Would doing so break any platforms or will
> libtool handle it ok?

More appropriate is to remove the offending call to the socket library.
ntohs() and htons() in dav/main/props.c, right?

Just go into props.c and insert a little #ifdef OS2 around those things, and
copy the value straight over. That code needs to change anyways, so save
yourself some grief now.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: Build/libtool question linking DSOs

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.
On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Brian Havard wrote:

> I'm working on getting a mod_dav DLL to build on OS/2 & found that I need
> -lsocket when linking. I thought it would be appropriate to add
> $(EXTRA_LIBS) to the link line. Would doing so break any platforms or will
> libtool handle it ok?

Libtool should just handle it.  We actually do something like this in
apr/test/Makefile.in.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131