Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by pe...@zv.fraunhofer.de on 2019/12/06 10:02:23 UTC

Minimal and meaningful recommended configuration in multi-hypervisor context

Hi, all,

previously we have used a set of custom bash scripts to configure cloud-init to serve template creation both for KVM and VMWare Hypervisors. Though it's a maintenance effort and also compatibility risks.

Is it possible to have a standard YAML configuration in this case? Also without the multi-hypervisor context, I have hard times to find a minimal template by operation system.

Typical requirements:

- have a custom SSH user
- synchronize network configuration and hostname with CloudStack

Following the manual the YAMl configuration seems quite simple from the first glance but then for example with Ubuntu I run into issues with the network configuration, like the interface does not come up.

Please help me to understand what can I expect, whether the configuration with cloud-init needs to be elaborate and maintain custom scripting for above use cases for every operation system and hypervisor or it's possible to tune common use cases in a simple way via the standard YAML?

How's your experience there, and are there shareable examples (maybe include them in the sources/documentation)?

--
Peter Muryshkin
Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft e.V. / Zentrale