Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Michael Cepek <mi...@spanlink.com> on 2006/02/01 16:58:01 UTC

File-specific commit comments

(Newbie alert -- first post -- gentleness requested)

I'm evaluating SVN and have a question I haven't found answered in the
FAQ, manual, or mailing lists.

I am used to providing different comments for each file when I use
'commit'.  But it looks like SVN enforces a single comment for all files
in a given 'commit'.

So my question is:  does (or will) SVN allow individual per-file
comments in a commit?

Background:  My most recent projects over the last 10 years (all at
small companies) have used or enforced a comment prefix which identified
the overall reason for the change (the bug-tracker ID).  But following
that prefix, convention was to briefly summarize the changes made to
that source file.  It has seemed like a best practice to me -- leave
useful information in the comment.  When looking through 'log' output,
it really helps.  I'd sure like to continue this practice when using
Subversion.

Thanks.

P.S.  Is there an appropriate place to make suggestions for the
Subversion Book?

Re: File-specific commit comments

Posted by Phil Endecott <sp...@chezphil.org>.
"Michael Cepek" <mi...@spanlink.com> wrote:
> So my question is:  does (or will) SVN allow individual per-file
> comments in a commit?

Last mentioned less than a week ago:

    http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2006-01/1239.shtml

Searching with the right keywords will probably find more discussions.

--Phil.